DIY Curing Chamber Help - Drilling Holes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Is the UVC light necessary? I plan on using this for dry aging more than curing, so worried about mold in that case which is why I bought it.

If I'm going to keep it, I'm likely going to run a separate cord for it through the back shelf and mount it against the back wall.

Definitely not recommended for dry curing as the molds are beneficial.
100% not planning on using it for curing for that reason. Wasn't sure about the dry age portion. The fan and UVC in there are just for dry aging primals, not salumi expeditions.

I've seen 50/50 results on *shudder* reddit. The consensus there is that "white mold good/black mold bad" which is largely (garbage) and why I care (and don't spend much time on Reddit). I want to be able to grind the pellicle into ground beef and shouldn't do that with mold.

I went to a number of meat purveyors, took some pics, and this is what I found:

1000005337.jpg

1000005338.jpg

No (*minimal) mold to be found.
Trying to determine if that can be solved by constant airflow/humidity, or if a UVC is needed.

Attachments

• 1000005335.jpg
    1000005335.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It will be nearly impossible to dry age without some mold growing.....UNLESS you use potassium sorbate or natamycin (natural Biocide used in the food industry) on the surface of the meat.

I highly suggest discarding the trim off dry aged meats. There are no salts used like when dry curing so the surface can grow all sorts of interesting stuff. Which is why it is trimmed and discarded.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Few tips:
Move the temp sensor away from under the rising warm air leaving the dehumidifier-you will get false readings. Also suggest lowering both the RH and temp. sensor to the middle of the chamber vertically. This will give you an avg. of the actual conditions in the chamber. It will always be a little warmer at the top, little colder at the bottom.....higher RH near the bottom and lower near the top (because of the difference in temps.).

Also- move your govee to the middle too....

New to this and thanks for the comments. I used an Android 8 Pixl Pro with the thermometer App and was able to find cool spots in the high 70's low 80's F vs. mid 90's after turning on a warm fridge. Hope that is helpful for someone. The slurry method confirmed the "cold" spots for me as I couldn't really determine what was "dried out" after several attempts and a bricked 1st wine fridge attempt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky