Indian Smoked Spiced Ribs with Aloo Bonda ( Potato Snacks/ street potatoes )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Indian Smoked Spiced Ribs with Aloo Bonda ( Potato Snacks/ street potatoes ) And Sweet Tamarind Chutney

Been on an Indian food trip for the last few meals and this is one I have been looking forward to. Very good meal and lots of nice smells and flavours and a little heat at the end once finished .

Trimmed up a nice rack of ribs and cut in half, just cause, lol Mixed up the spices and good coat on the ribs and into the fridge for 24 hours.
Next day ( today ) into the smoker with black cherry and apple chips and chunks, at 250/260 deg . And finally a couple nice days here . Sunny and 7 deg. " C ".

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

While the ribs are rolling in the smoke I made up the Sweet Tamarind Chutney. Quite a blend of spices and Tamarind paste. This is very nice and kind of reminds me of a warm molasses. kinda lol. Let that simmer until it thickens up , about 20 minutes. This wil be a glaze for the ribs at the end and also some for a dipping sauce

4.JPG

5.JPG

3 hours have gone by and time to wrap the ribs in Peach paper with some butter , for an hour

6.JPG
7.JPG

Time to make the Aloo Bonda , this has many ways to spice . I think I read at least 7 recipes and all were a little different in the spice profile
and a little different in the batter also.
Boil the potatoes and mash. No milk or butter , want it to be able to keep its shape. In my CI I fried the mustard seeds , onions and the other spices ( watch the seeds as they like to pop all out of the pan. Ha Ha
Add the mashed to the browned spices and add the greens and lime juice ( it is a sub for one of the spices I did not have ) stir until mixed well. remove from heat and let cool a bit

11.JPG
12.JPG

Hour is up for the wrapped ribs. Remove from paper back on the tray rack and coat with a nice lather of the chutney. Back in the smoker foir 1 last hour

8.JPG 9.JPG

10.JPG

Ok time for the out side cooking on the side burner , Fill up one of my CI's with canola oil. Make the potato balls and set aside while making the batter.
Make the batter, test the oil . yes burns finger so its ready. Off to make a mess. I was surprised the potatoes in the oil turned red, I thought it would be yellow from the turmeric. But pretty to look at.

13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG

Of coarse as soon as i had the first few in the oil the propane ran out. Thank god I always have spares down by the Smokers Shack so grab a 30 pounder. And we are on again.

16.JPG

Ok Ribs are ready to come in and the balls are just about finished . time to get it all together.

17.JPG
18.JPG

18.JPG

Two bowls for dipping 1 Cool ranch and the Sweet Tamarind Chutney and some mini Naan breads to clean up the plates

19.JPG

20.JPG

My plate

22.JPG

23.JPG

Well this was a very nice meal and really packed with some different flavours for me , but enjoyed them , and the Chutney was the bomb.

Crispy spicy potatoes and ribs with a bite on the bone. What a fun to do meal. And enough bones for a snake or two for me in the morning.

thanks for making it if you did . I know I really drag these out , Ha Ha

David

Dammit man does that all look great!
And your tater balls just went on the short list.

Thanks John for the love and the comment

It was a very full flavoured meal. And fun to do.
And you know me , I am all about the potatoes. And this was a new twist again for me.
Like I mentioned above in post, there are quite a few different was to spice them up, all depends on what part of India you are looking at.

David

David, that is one exquisite looking meal. All that flavor...... I can only try to imagine!

Dave

Thanks Dave for the like and the comment

It was full of great flavours and not really burning bum hot , more like black pepper burn a little , and than with the Sweet Chutney . Just wonderful

David

Reactions: Flatrate
Great job on that David! Looks delicious! And just because... could you find a way to deep fry some gravy for my taters, might not fit the indian theme but I have faith in you!

Ryan

Great job on that David! Looks delicious! And just because... could you find a way to deep fry some gravy for my taters, might not fit the indian theme but I have faith in you!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

It was a very nice and full of flavour kind of meal. And yes even though the gravy might not have gone with the Indian theme I was also thinking about the Aloo Bonda would be nice instead of the Chutney, a big bowl of gravy to float them in.

As for deep fried , I will get my thinking cap going, but for now you will just have to dream while looking at my Gravy bombs from before
( Mashed potato balls with hot gravy inside )

1709549074886.png

David

Wow David, you folks that come from the land of ice and snow sure do eat well. That plate looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky