First Sausage & Peppers Fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If that is you first one , it looks great to me, I love a fattie, and I like using the thicker bacon on the weave,
After the weave I just roll it a bit to flatten it out and it closes the weave a little more ( this is all info I learned from gmc2003 gmc2003 Chris's tutorial's )

I would have no problem sitting down to a couple slices ( or more ) of yours,

But like said above , the good thing is we can do it again and again until we think we have it right. :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

David

Reactions: Retired Spook
If that is you first one , it looks great to me, I love a fattie, and I like using the thicker bacon on the weave,
After the weave I just roll it a bit to flatten it out and it closes the weave a little more ( this is all info I learned from gmc2003 gmc2003 Chris's tutorial's )

I would have no problem sitting down to a couple slices ( or more ) of yours,

But like said above , the good thing is we can do it again and again until we think we have it right. :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

David
Thanks DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ,

I had no problem with the weave - I just laid out a piece of Saran wrap, stared the weave in the middle and worked my way out each way. I got lucky!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I nuked a slice for breakfast and put a few dashes of Melinda's ghost pepper sauce on it and it was an improvement.

I think the green bell pepper and yellow onion is just a little too sweet for my old taste buds. Next time I will, for sure, use hot Italian sausage and add crushed red pepper to the peppers, onions and garlic when precooking/sautéing them.

A "Philly cheese-steak" fattie - ground chuck, sautéed mushrooms, onions and white American cheese wrapped in a bacon weave - could be in my future...

Or maybe a "White Castle" (sautéed yellow onions but no mushrooms, and yellow American cheese) fattie...

Wheels are spinning! :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Nice job on the fattie Spook!
It looks delicious!
I have to ask, how do you keep your smoker grate so clean?
Al
Thanks Al!

I usually burn a hot fire for a half hour and then I wire brush the **** out of it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: SmokinAl
Deserving of the carousel.
I think the best fatty I ever did was a breakfast fatty.
1 Jimmy dean Mild and 1 hot
Scrambled eggs, onions, hashbrowns, 3 pepper cheese and mushrooms with bacon weave. Almost had too many ingredients.

Deserving of the carousel.
I think the best fatty I ever did was a breakfast fatty.
1 Jimmy dean Mild and 1 hot
Scrambled eggs, onions, hashbrowns, 3 pepper cheese and mushrooms with bacon weave. Almost had too many ingredients.
Thank you sir. I might have to try one with Jimmy Dean's hot, scrambled eggs, sharp cheddar and a bacon weave...

Well, I always wanted to try one of these...

Mild Italian sausage filled with diced green peppers, diced yellow onion and diced fresh garlic, all sautéed in EVOO, and provolone cheese. Then wrapped with a Better Than Good pecan smoked bacon weave and post oak and hickory smoked for 3-hours at 225-degrees to 160-degrees internal.

In the smoker:
View attachment 662867

After 3-hours - 160-degrees internal:
View attachment 662868

On the cutting board after a 30-minute rest:
View attachment 662869

And first slices:
View attachment 662870

While I think it turned out pretty good considering it is the first fattie I ever made, I wasn't real crazy with the taste - almost a little too mild and sweet like it could have used some chopped jalapenos or hot Italian sausage vs. the mild. Also, I think the bacon is just too thick for this technique - I would have liked it slightly crispy vs the soft texture of it.

Next time I will use hot Italian sausage and thin bacon and see if I like that better.
Nice weave, and roll!

If a man don't like that... He don't like girls... That's an awesome first fattie...

As for the bacon... I too find that the thick slices don't work well in a weave for me ... and usually I can't get the thin slices to look that pretty in a weave ...

If a man don't like that... He don't like girls... That's an awesome first fattie...

As for the bacon... I too find that the thick slices don't work well in a weave for me ... and usually I can't get the thin slices to look that pretty in a weave ...
Thank you sir. I ate it all and I like girls.

I might try smoking at a hotter temp to cook that bacon a little more...

Well deserved ride, that fattie looks fantastic!!! And yes, the thinnest, cheapest bacon you can get will crisp up better.

That looks absolutely incredible!! I've done a few fatties but never one that looks as amazing as yours. Simply a gorgeous meal. Very nicely done.

Robert

Nice!

lol SmokinAl SmokinAl for the grates question. Mine always look like the cooled lava fields on Hawaii....
1681866769834.png

Nice!

lol SmokinAl SmokinAl for the grates question. Mine always look like the cooled lava fields on Hawaii....
View attachment 663221
Here in the 9th circle of hell it gets so hot and humid that I am afraid that any build-up on the grates will go rancid, and I do not want rancid touching my food. I always wire brush the grates after a cook, and I always get the smoker nice and hot - 400-500 degrees hot - before a cook, and wire brush it again. Then I let it cool down to cooking temp and start cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky