Throwdown Entry Italian Sausage & Peppers Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Again I am flattered to have won. Many of the entries were just off the hook and frankly a bit more complex than mine. My mantra on cooking the last few months has leaned towards simplicity and using what's on hand while not sacrificing flavor. I had planned on doing some sausage patties with peppers and onions when the Throwdown was announced. I decided to alter the plan and do it in soup form. Other than fennel and some fresh green peppers I had all the other items on hand. I've been doing soups all winter and freezing a lot for enjoyment later. Love being able to just thaw them out on a cold day. Well here we go with a loose overview of the recipe / process. Time to put the 17" Lodge to work. First up 6 lbs of bulk Italian sausage from our local Savealot. Price is often $1.99 / lbs. I stock the freezer with it but it's very bland so fix that. Browning it here with 3T added fennel seed and 1t cayenne.
PXL_20240210_162744813.jpg
Once this was browned and minced well I removed it from the grease and set aside. The sausage is pretty lean so I did not discard the fat but rather added 5 green diced green peppers, 2 diced medium sweet onions and 2 bags of frozen onions and peppers from Walmart.
PXL_20240210_164902174.jpg
In the big pot I added 4 15 oz cans of tomato sauce, 12 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes, 16 oz can tomato paste and 19 cups of Minors chicken stock Note a nice big blob of tomato landed on my scratch paper as I worked on the cooking. This may have been 16 cups lol. Start there maybe and add 3 more to taste. Spices added 3T Italian seasoning, 1T Oregano, 1T garlic powder ,1t ground fennel, 2t MSG , salt and pepper to taste.
PXL_20240210_184136838.jpg
I simmered this on low all afternoon. Yield was about 16 quarts. Feedback from the little circle who acquires food from me and also freebie giveaways was very positive. I will add that it freezes very well. I've already thawed a quart for lunches. Here are two shots plated up with Keto Rosemary Garlic Parm Biscuits.
1000006354-01.jpeg
1000006361-01.jpeg
To me and those who tried it really captures the essence of a sausage and peppers sandwich in a bowl. I will link the biscuits in a comment below. Again not complex but very tasty. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Again I am flattered to have won. Many of the entries were just off the hook and frankly a bit more complex than mine. My mantra on cooking the last few months has leaned towards simplicity and using what's on hand while not sacrificing flavor. I had planned on doing some sausage patties with peppers and onions when the Throwdown was announced. I decided to alter the plan and do it in soup form. Other than fennel and some fresh green peppers I had all the other items on hand. I've been doing soups all winter and freezing a lot for enjoyment later. Love being able to just thaw them out on a cold day. Well here we go with a loose overview of the recipe / process. Time to put the 17" Lodge to work. First up 6 lbs of bulk Italian sausage from our local Savealot. Price is often $1.99 / lbs. I stock the freezer with it but it's very bland so fix that. Browning it here with 3T added fennel seed and 1t cayenne. View attachment 689903 Once this was browned and minced well I removed it from the grease and set aside. The sausage is pretty lean so I did not discard the fat but rather added 5 green diced green peppers, 2 diced medium sweet onions and 2 bags of frozen onions and peppers from Walmart. View attachment 689904 In the big pot I added 4 15 oz cans of tomato sauce, 12 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes, 16 oz can tomato paste and 16 cups of Minors chicken stock. Spices added 3T Italian seasoning, 1T Oregano, 1T garlic powder ,1t ground fennel, 2t MSG , salt and pepper to taste. View attachment 689905 I simmered this on low all afternoon. Yield was about 16 quarts. Feedback from the little circle who acquires food from me and also freebie giveaways was very positive. Here are two shots plated up with Keto Rosemary Garlic Parm Biscuits.
View attachment 689906View attachment 689907 To me and those who tried it really captures the essence of a sausage and peppers sandwich in a bowl. I will link the biscuits in a comment below. Again not complex but very tasty. Thanks for looking!
Looks great, bookmarked for sure.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks delicious Jeff! Can almost imagine the aroma in your house the day you made it!
And congratulations again!

Ryan

Reactions: gmc2003 and jcam222
I do a basic sausage and peppers quite often but don't eat them on rolls / bread etc anymore to avoid the carbs. I just toss it in a bowl and enjoy. That soup looks like a great meal. Congrats!

Fantastic job Jeff, and congratulations on the win.

Thanks for the how-to
Point for sure
Chris

Congrats Jeff that bowl of soup looks like it tastes so good! I could visualize the layers of flavors and I’m betting the smell was intoxicating!

Jeff that is just wonderful and the picture for the TD was top notch, and you know I like a good plate shot.

And like said by others and you , the flavours sound amazing. I love a good burger soup/stew. I do it often
But will have to try your flavours next time.

David

Looks great, bookmarked for sure.

Looks like 16 quarts of Heaven. . .Can't wait to try it!

Thanks Pal,

John

I'll be try this for sure.

Looks delicious Jeff! Can almost imagine the aroma in your house the day you made it!
And congratulations again!

Ryan

Congrats on the win! Was a great looking soup and like Ryan......I can only imagine the great smells in your house!

Jim

I do a basic sausage and peppers quite often but don't eat them on rolls / bread etc anymore to avoid the carbs. I just toss it in a bowl and enjoy. That soup looks like a great meal. Congrats!

Looks great Jeff !

Fantastic job Jeff, and congratulations on the win.

Thanks for the how-to
Point for sure
Chris

Looks great, Jeff! Congrats on the win...

Congrats Jeff that bowl of soup looks like it tastes so good! I could visualize the layers of flavors and I’m betting the smell was intoxicating!

That soup looked amazing but it was the home made biscuits that did it for me. Great entry and win.

That's going on my rotation! Looks delicious Jeff!

Jeff that is just wonderful and the picture for the TD was top notch, and you know I like a good plate shot.

And like said by others and you , the flavours sound amazing. I love a good burger soup/stew. I do it often
But will have to try your flavours next time.

David

Thanks all for the kind words! It truly is a simple concoction but very tasty. The key is making sure that fennel flavor comes through loud and clear. Depending on the spice source / freshness you may need to bump up the ground fennel some. I ground in in the coffee grinder I use for spices. If you like it spicy you could amp it up with some more red pepper. I was making some for local folks who buy a bit from me so kept it relatively mild. One other spin is adding some chopped pepperoni and other pizza toppings you like. I did that in a bowl I earned up last week. Crazy good too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky