Sausage & Peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
A couple days ago I was reminiscing with an old friend about Midway Steak House on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights NJ (used to be FAMOUS for the best sausage & peppers sandwich ever made but they have gone downhill and are nothing like they used to be... like everything else...), and I got the craving for a sausage & peppers sandwich so bad that I just had to make one...

So I fried up some green peppers and yellow onions in EVOO along with a package of Johnsonville hot Italian sausages (I know, I know, but this is Texas and you have to live with what you can get...), set it all aside, left one sausage and some green peppers and yellow onions in the pan, covered it with 2-slices of provolone cheese, split the roll, excavated it (yes you MUST take the inside OUT), and laid it on top of the assembly to warm the bread, and then put it on a plate!

Not a very artistic photo but it sure reminded me of the old days - it was killer good! Yep, the sausage is under there partially visible on the right blanketed in cheese!

IMG_2168.JPG

Then, this morning, I got the craving for an Italian breakfast, so I heated some of the leftover sausage & peppers up and added a couple of scrambled eggs and I was once again reminded of just how good the food was where I grew up.

IMG_2175.jpg

Damned good stuff - reminds me of... home...

Last edited:
Sausage and peppers sandwich from the street vendors outside of Fenway Park before a Red Sox game, as good as they get. :emoji_yum:

Reactions: JLeonard
Just ordered a hank of casings and I know what the firstbatch will be, I must have some sausage and peppers soon!
No supermarket sausage can compare to a homemade Italian sausage - period.

I've gotten old and decrepit so my sausage making days are few and far between but when I do make them I use Rytek Kutas's Mild-hot Italian sausage recipe (page 180 of Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing) and they are perfect - though depending on the pork shoulder I sometimes like to add a little more fat - and I always use natural hog casings.

peppahs n eggs wit sassige

I'm game for that.

I can't eat commercial italian anymore. I'm spoiled with homemade Italian Sausage. I am so done with biting into gristle and bone fragments. I bought some little sausages for Christmas appetizers. Major name brand. Nothing but hard bits and I swore never again.

Thanks for reminding me that I still had leftovers! The last sausage and peppers...

IMG_2192.JPG

Man that was GOOD.

The upside is that when I was in the supermarket this morning, I bought more sausage, peppers and onions! :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: 02ebz06
Next batch done. Now I will put em in the fridge and take a sausage and some peppers and onions out when I get the craving (in about an hour :emoji_sunglasses:) heat it up in the same pan, lay a couple of slices of provolone cheese over it, split the roll, excavate it and lay it on top and let it steam a minute or two, and then mangia marone!

Yep, that is a chunk of garlic on that sausage. There is quite a bit more in the mix!
IMG_2204.JPG

And have 4-sandwiches worth left over! :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
You made me do it...
I bought the peppers and onions, brats are in freezer.
Only thing left is to make some buns.
Brats??? 🤨

I use hot Italian sausages, goombah! :emoji_sunglasses:

I am sure it will be good with brats.

Last edited:
So I was lazy, I skipped the roll and provolone and just pulled a sausage and some peppers and onions out and ate it.

Man that **** is good! 🫡

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky