Zuppa Toscana Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Broke my bad cooking week with this soup. Steve brought us this few years ago. I did change it up for me. It is one of the tastiest soups. I use turnips to make low carb. I had bag of spinach that need to be use so I put the whole thing in. It did cook down some more after it sat for 15 minutes. I used some stock from pressure cooking left over bones from rotisserie chicken. If you never made before I highly suggest it.

1 lb ground spicy Italian sausage
6 slices bacon, diced
1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 Tbsp flour
32 oz chicken stock
2 turnips peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces - can use potatoes
1 cup heavy cream
spinach
Salt and pepper, - to taste

Heat a large pot over MED-HIGH heat. Brown sausage, crumbling as it cooks. Remove to a plate.

Fry bacon in residual sausage grease, I dont make crispy for this soup then remove to plate with the sausage.

Add onion to pot and cook 5 minutes, adding garlic the last minute.

Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic in pot, then stir to combine. Pour in chicken stock, stirring as you pour. Add in turnips and bring to a boil.

Gently boil about 10 minutes, or until turnips are fork-tender. Add in cooked sausage, bacon, heavy cream and spinach. Stir and cook 5-10 minutes until spinach is wilted.

Taste and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes if desired. This is crazy good!

20240118_162712.jpg 20240118_163955.jpg

Here is Steve's recipe

This one is pretty much a staple around here. I gently smoke the sausage first, use kale instead of spinach, and, finally, we use coconut cream (solid part only) in lieu of the heavy cream.

Of course, it is topped with freshly grated Parmesan.
FB_IMG_1705669864604.jpg

1000012657.jpg

Great way to come out of a slump, slugger! With the weather we are having that would be perfect.

Jim

Great work Brian! I remember that Steve H Steve H post on this soup. Looks fantastic.

sorry about your hand. Is it your insurance or the medical system thats dragging this out?

Broke my bad cooking week with this soup. Steve brought us this few years ago. I did change it up for me. It is one of the tastiest soups. I use turnips to make low carb. I had bag of spinach that need to be use so I put the whole thing in. It did cook down some more after it sat for 15 minutes. I used some stock from pressure cooking left over bones from rotisserie chicken. If you never made before I highly suggest it.

6 slices bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 Tbsp flour
32 oz chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
spinach

Heat a large pot over MED-HIGH heat. Brown sausage, crumbling as it cooks. Remove to a plate.

Fry bacon in residual sausage grease, I dont make crispy for this soup then remove to plate with the sausage.

Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic in pot, then stir to combine. Pour in chicken stock, stirring as you pour. Add in turnips and bring to a boil.

Gently boil about 10 minutes, or until turnips are fork-tender. Add in cooked sausage, bacon, heavy cream and spinach. Stir and cook 5-10 minutes until spinach is wilted.

Taste and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes if desired. This is crazy good!

View attachment 686108View attachment 686107

Here is Steve's recipe
Bookmarked Brian, this will go great in this frigged weather we are having up here! Can't wait till spring when we are heading to SC to scope out some possible retirement areas.

That soup is a pot full of bone warming goodness!

Glad the bad streak is over!
Thanks buzzard.
This one is pretty much a staple around here. I gently smoke the sausage first, use kale instead of spinach, and, finally, we use coconut cream (solid part only) in lieu of the heavy cream.
That's a great idea. I use it a lot in curry.
That’s what’s up Brian. You redeemed yourself!
Thanks Derek
Great way to come out of a slump, slugger! With the weather we are having that would be perfect.

Jim
Thanks Jim
Great work Brian! I remember that Steve H Steve H post on this soup. Looks fantastic.

sorry about your hand. Is it your insurance or the medical system thats dragging this out?
Thanks Dave. Guess these doctors are over whelmed!
Bookmarked Brian, this will go great in this frigged weather we are having up here! Can't wait till spring when we are heading to SC to scope out some possible retirement areas.
Thanks Cliff
Looks delicious Brian. We make Steve’s recipe several times a year and love it! Nice work bud
Thanks Jake.

Reactions: mr mac

6 slices bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 Tbsp flour
32 oz chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
spinach

View attachment 686108View attachment 686107

Here is Steve's recipe
That looks wonderful!! Perfect meal for this time of year.
Thanks for sharing!
- Jason

There you go Brian.

Great sounding soup, and glad you are happy with it .
Now the slump is over, enjoy some good cooks moving forward. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David
Thanks David. I turned that chuck into some good food. Made like a deviled roast beef for sammy's that was so good and roast beef hash that was also very good.
You're like a cat Brian, always landing on your feet! Great recovery. And the soup looks amazing!
Thanks Steve. Glad you brought us this!
Looks great Brian . That should swing things your way .
Thanks Rich
That looks wonderful!! Perfect meal for this time of year.
Thanks for sharing!
- Jason
Thanks Jason
BGSDT,Your soup looks spot on for the weather we have been getting lately.
Thanks Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky