Duck score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Reactions: crazymoon
I dug the duck breasts out of the salt yesterday. They lost about 12% weight.

I refreshed them for 2h in cold water (changed water once). Left to dry overnight. Won't probably start smoking until tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's almost two months since I did the 5 ducks batch. Long enough for legs curing in fat. In order to free up duck fat for the last batch and for footprint reduction purposes I decided to vacuum pack the legs from the January batch. Not an original idea; I saw it at the supermarket.

I left some fat in the fridge so it won't get sucked by the vacuum machine. Than added it to the legs in the foodsaver bags. Sealed and left on the counter for the fat to soften. Then massaged the bag to get fat all over.

Last edited:
Atomic, morning.....     Do you ever, ever get sick of eating that gourmet meat you prepare....    I gots to know....

Dave,

It have been three long weeks since we had the last slices of smoked duck breast. Withdrawal is rough. This batch and the one drying should take us thru the summer until weather cools down again.

One of the duck prosciuttos i started in January was from two legs, doubled up. The weight loss is now at 30%. Should be ready.

Time to taste it.
No thank you. I will pass. You can see the voids that formed during curing (or maybe they were there from the beginning). Those areas smell a bit off. The rest smells very good. Going into the compost bin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky