Butts and Ribs "Play by Play" Q-veiw

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bikr4jc, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Getting ready for wife's birthday party tomorrow.  Just started the Butts in the smoker, will add ribs in the morning. First time using this smoker, and first butts...

The Butts in the pan, with Jeff's Rub on them...

My spray bottle additives, sorry no Capt Morgan....

Butts in the smoker, ready to go....

Stay tuned, we will all see how it goes.....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. Sorry, hickory and apple wood in the pan.....

3. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Looks good other than the smokers to dang clean!

4. miamirick

miamirick Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks good but that smoker is very cleean, you must have a good wife,    and isn't ontario in canada?

need to see the pulled pics

5. This is the first smoking with this unit, give it time!!!

6. OK 2.5 hours into it, meat temp 112 degrees, looking good.... time to spray it down!!!

7. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Those are looking good from here!  

8. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks good so far. Cant wait to see the results

9. almost 5 hours into it, loaded up the wood for one more good smoke while I get some shut eye.....

10. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Is there a reason you have the butts in a pan instead of on the rack with a pan beneath to catch any drippings?  You're a brave man doing a first smoke for your wife's Bday.  Looks great so far.

11. I have read a few threads and like Jeff's method, I can take the juice from the pan and use it as a finishing sauce.  First time so we will see, so far I like the results.

12. 11 hours into it, meat temp 165 and holding...

Got the ribs rubbed down, covered the butts so they won't get over smoked by the ribs coming in....

So Far so good!!

Who needs sleep.......[​IMG]

13. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Man, the bark on those butts is looking great!  Going to be a some great chow for the party for sure! 

14. Question??  When I added the ribs the temp fell to about 150 and it's taking a while to come back up.  I turned up the gas just now to get smoker temp back up, I should be fine, Right?  Once it gets back to about 240 I will adjust it so it stays....

15. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

You'll be fine...with that gasser you have control.  Now that you've bumped the heat up you've probably already recovered since posting.

16. cole

cole Fire Starter

Those look exceptional.  I bet the party goes off without a hitch.  I think your 8:20 post reflected the ribs absorbing alot of the heat.  Your wife's friends and family are going to be pleasantly surprised that it's not going to be the old burgers and dogs.

17. Ok it been 3hrs for the ribs, now to foil them...

18. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice [​IMG]

19. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Have you tried soflaquers finishing sauce? It's in the wiki & man it's good!! You gotta try it once. It's easy too!

20. I have not tried it but got all the ingredients and making it in a little bit...