Any Lang 84 owners?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Well, I am about to take a leap of faith. I have been back and forth over it, but my little business is growing and volume and capacity continue to be buzz words around the house.

So, it’s looking like I’m about to place my order with Ben, for an 84 delux with char grill. I’m pretty stoked, but that’s a big chunk of change. I’d like to know if anyone out there has one, and if so how do you like it? How does it pull? Also, and this is key, how does it draft when cold smoking?

I’m having a lot of success cold smoking meats out of my 36 patio. And I have no reason to believe the 84 won’t perform the same, but I’d like to hear first hand from anyone that may have one.

I trust this site and the feedback I receive. I know this is a little bit of a scattered post, but I’m just hoping some one here may have some experiences to share.

Congrats on the bacon business expanding. I just put my first one in cure last night might have to get some advice from you before its said and done haha. Anyways I don't have a lang (would like to) but I did notice there is a Lang60 for sale in the classifieds in SC if you were willing to travel. Just figured I would let you know in case you didn't see it. Might save you a few bucks if it was something you were interested in.

Congrats on the bacon business expanding. I just put my first one in cure last night might have to get some advice from you before its said and done haha. Anyways I don't have a lang (would like to) but I did notice there is a Lang60 for sale in the classifieds in SC if you were willing to travel. Just figured I would let you know in case you didn't see it. Might save you a few bucks if it was something you were interested in.
I appreciate that, but I think I will need to go with the 84, at least. I am more than willing to help you with any ?s you may still have. I’m still learning but we haven’t stopped making bacon for the last two months. I’m just going to keep rolling until I figure out what’s next.

I think piney Woods has an 84

I love my and have no regrets on buying it. I use it a lot. Its heavy but pulls down the road good. But the flip side is when its unhooked it is too heavy to move around by hand if you want to adjust the position. I am thinking of some kind of wheel dolly to help on that one day. Get your wood pile stocked!! I go through a lot of wood. I offer wood fired BBQ to my peeps. So I don't use charcoal or charcoal basket set up. I will start my wood with it and get a good bed of coals then its just wood splits from there. GO FOR IT! The capacity will pay off

Reactions: 73saint
Saint. I don’t know if you use the warmer at all for smoking but if you do consider asking them to put 3 more racks to total 7. It doesn’t cost anything. All the racks are removable if you have a tall item. I can fit half pans in my smoker, 7 of them. I only have the 60. I also got the damper from firebox to warmer to heat it up to cook In also

78329E78-EFF2-4AC9-9248-7FA3FF41D552.jpeg

I love my and have no regrets on buying it. I use it a lot. Its heavy but pulls down the road good. But the flip side is when its unhooked it is too heavy to move around by hand if you want to adjust the position. I am thinking of some kind of wheel dolly to help on that one day. Get your wood pile stocked!! I go through a lot of wood. I offer wood fired BBQ to my peeps. So I don't use charcoal or charcoal basket set up. I will start my wood with it and get a good bed of coals then its just wood splits from there. GO FOR IT! The capacity will pay off
Thank you, that's good info. I take for granted that I can maneuver my 36 patio as the wind shifts and the weather changes. That's a big plus and something I should consider/

Also, I am a neat freak. Rust is unacceptable. I have a cover that I use for my 36 patio; but I wont have this beast in a garage or carport. Should I plan on covering with a tarp?

Thank you, that's good info. I take for granted that I can maneuver my 36 patio as the wind shifts and the weather changes. That's a big plus and something I should consider/

Also, I am a neat freak. Rust is unacceptable. I have a cover that I use for my 36 patio; but I wont have this beast in a garage or carport. Should I plan on covering with a tarp?
Yes and spray it with pam after each use. And a bucket to cover the top of the smoke stack.

Flatbroke, man that is clean! Do you keep it in a garage?
If it is going to rain. If not it is on my patio. I spray it with Pam after finished cooking. Hitting the firebox and all hinges, and damper arms so they move freely.

If it is going to rain. If not it is on my patio. I spray it with Pam after finished cooking. Hitting the firebox and all hinges, and damper arms so they move freely.
I do exactly the same thing with my 36, and it’s an older model and there isn’t a speck of rust.

Reactions: flatbroke
I wipe the rest of the unit with a spounge soaked in food grade minderal oil when the unit cools down. Including behind the stack and warmer box. Frame etc.

I appreciate that, but I think I will need to go with the 84, at least. I am more than willing to help you with any ?s you may still have. I’m still learning but we haven’t stopped making bacon for the last two months. I’m just going to keep rolling until I figure out what’s next.

Damn yall are making me want to get a lang. You done any Canadian bacon yet?

Ha! I took my 1st Canadian bacon out of the cure before work this morning. It’s on racks in the fridge right now....
View attachment 372564

I am thinking about stopping on my way home from work and grabbing a pork loin. You dry cure right? Did you do it the same way as the belly bacon as far as cure per pound? I've read a million threads and some of them are talking about injecting it saying its too thick for the dry cure to reach all the way to the middle.

I am thinking about stopping on my way home from work and grabbing a pork loin. You dry cure right? Did you do it the same way as the belly bacon as far as cure per pound? I've read a million threads and some of them are talking about injecting it saying its too thick for the dry cure to reach all the way to the middle.
I dry cured the same way as my pork belly, did not inject, and cured for 15 days, when I cut through the thickest part it was beautiful and pink!

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I never cured a damn thing. Not even a hangover. I got to learn

The 84D pulls good. You know it is back there "weight wise".
I have never cold smoked on mine, but I wouldn't think you would have a problem.
It might be some trail and error figuring out smoke times.
I have done most of my cold smoking on a smaller smoker. Only because I haven't smoked large quantities.

Damn yall are making me want to get a lang. You done any Canadian bacon yet?

I just bought my second Lang and its one of those things that if you buy one you feel a little pain on the purchase with the price (and shipping potentially) but it awesome every time you smoke after that. i never regretted my 36 purchase and only sold it because i was going to buy a bigger Lang! I have no regrets.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky