Looking for a CI skillet.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got lucky and have my Grandmother's circa 1960's Lodge 12" that was smooth cast. Love that thing. However, my others are the newer rough cast that work very well after some bacon frying a few times. You can't beat the price either. Being made in TN, and also having toured their factory pretty much sealed the deal for me.
I’ve also got my grandmothers Birmingham Stove Co skillet that was given to her as a wedding present way back in the early 1940s. It’s my go to cooker.
I want to do a weekend run back to the lodge store and do the tour. Although I usually do a good bit of self enabling when I’m there!

Jim

That texture can also be sanded off and made glass like. Mine are all smooth from use but if I ever needed a new one I would polish it first, then season it.

Pretty much. Rough pans are why I suggested finding a pan in store and looking the lot over. Some pans, even within the same lot, are clearly better than others when it comes to the overall finish. Helps save time and effort.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
You won't have any issues with a rough surface . 20211229_163130.jpg
20211229_171201.jpg

I’ve also got my grandmothers Birmingham Stove Co skillet that was given to her as a wedding present way back in the early 1940s. It’s my go to cooker.
I want to do a weekend run back to the lodge store and do the tour. Although I usually do a good bit of self enabling when I’m there!

Jim
Hey Jim, Lodge gives free tours of their factory the weekend of the Cornbread festival. You get to "Nerd out" on seeing how they make their CI, and eat some danged fine cornbread at the same time.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hey Jim, Lodge gives free tours of their factory the weekend of the Cornbread festival. You get to "Nerd out" on seeing how they make their CI, and eat some danged fine cornbread at the same time.
Hmm....May have to check into it. Looked it up....5 hr drive from home. And cornbread too!

Jim

we bought the Ozark (Walmart) 3 piece set and they've been fine. we have a glass top stove so can only use on the side burner of the Napoleon. Also bought a Lodge reversible griddle which is also fine for the side burner. I use the griddle to sear cause the blackstone doesn't get hot enough (for me). Mama loves the little 8" job for making cornbread in the oven. No issues or complaints on price or quality.

we bought the Ozark (Walmart) 3 piece set and they've been fine. we have a glass top stove so can only use on the side burner of the Napoleon. Also bought a Lodge reversible griddle which is also fine for the side burner. I use the griddle to sear cause the blackstone doesn't get hot enough (for me). Mama loves the little 8" job for making cornbread in the oven. No issues or complaints on price or quality.
My daughter uses cast iron on her glass top stove. She's been doing so for a few years now. No complaints that I've heard, and believe you me I would have heard them.

Chris

You can use CI on glass tops. Though. A word of warning. Back when I was a appliance tech. I've replaced more then a few that someone landed a ci too hard on and shattered the surface.

You can use CI on glass tops. Though. A word of warning. Back when I was a appliance tech. I've replaced more then a few that someone landed a ci too hard on and shattered the surface.
Yeah I've hit the glass cook top a couple of time with a skillet and thought.."on man!" but they are tougher than you think. Although I do try to be careful.

Jim

Reactions: Redicans
Yea! Been there, done that. That dang glass cost as much as the whole stove! We're not piped for gas here so it's a glass top for me.

What’s everyone’s go to size? I’m looking at the 12” and maybe adding one of their 8” or 6.5” it will be just for one person but feel like it would be nice to have a smaller one also.

I use our cast iron on our glass top stove with no issues, just have to be careful. We also have some enamel coated cast iron dutch ovens, which are heavier than the pans. Just have to be gentle setting them down and dont slide them across the top of the stove.

I have 2 12" skillets, one deep(chicken fryer) one regular depth skillet but I want one slightly bigger when making bigger meals

Don't have to look for any brand on a good pan. Wagner made a few tons of thier fry pans without the branding and sold them in hardware and department stores at a lower price. Not collectors but make great user pans. Main thing is checking the bottom to be sure it is flat. Set it on a hard smooth surface and see if it will spin. If it does, put it back.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky