Looking for a CI skillet.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What’s everyone’s go to size? I’m looking at the 12” and maybe adding one of their 8” or 6.5” it will be just for one person but feel like it would be nice to have a smaller one also.
I find the 6.5 too small for much of anything, even for 1. The measurement is generally the OD, so depends on how angled the sides are as to how much real estate you're getting. My daily drivers are a 12 and a 10.5 (for 1-2ppl).

If weight is a concern, I also like to suggest going a larger diameter in Carbon Steel instead of CI to save weight in the larger size.

What’s everyone’s go to size? I’m looking at the 12” and maybe adding one of their 8” or 6.5”
Get a 12 if you're only going to get one . A 12 and a 10 would take care of things .
It's addicting , and you'll be looking for / wanting more . Like a Dutch oven .
All mine are family owned / hand me downs , or bought new for me as gifts .
I've added more since this was taken . I use some of it everyday .
20200702_084108.jpg

I got lucky finding a few medium sized Griswold cast iron pans at a thrift store that are older than me, potentially much older. The rest of my collection is mixed manufacturers, including the largest ones which are modern Lodge. Thrift stores are not a bad place to take a look.

My go to size is 10". Its big enough for the three of us. The 12" is what we reach for when we do spatchcock chicken or adobo. We mainly use the 12" pan in the oven because it tends to get a hot spot where it sits on the element and frying on it requires moving things around a bit so it's even. It's not bad on our little GasOne butane stove.

Those larger pan require a larger burner to keep the bottom heated more even. Real easy to get a hot spot and warp a pan that way.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Those larger pan require a larger burner to keep the bottom heated more even. Real easy to get a hot spot and warp a pan that way.
I've heard that heating them in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes , before going on a burner helps with that .
These are the one I have gathered up in the last couple years. Have 3 that are used regularly in
the kitchen.
I like that setup . I do the same . I have a mix of stuff that I use throughout the week .
I keep it right in the kitchen . The rest is in the pantry . You just opened my eyes to adding another shelf or 2 .
20240224_065220.jpg

Reactions: 912smoker
I think your rack and mine are the same brand. Got mine off eBay for just under $100. I checked with the seller and single shelves are not available. I am planning to buy another complete rack and use one shelf for the CI and the main part for my hunting stuff storage. I left the wheels off mine as it sits on carpeting. Want it sitting solid.

That is a serious score. I've looked at their skillets, but my wallet tells me no way.
My wallet ain't no different. Have no idea why it didn't git bidded up? Don't try bidding on any Lodge stuff though. LoL

On edit
The table/cart came from also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky