• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

YS640 in cold weather

johiocity

Joined Oct 15, 2016
Can anyone tell me how the Yoder ys640 handles winter months? I live in NE Indiana, and was curious how well it would perform in the cold. Also, I know that they offer a insulation cover, but I have also seen people using welding blankets for this purpose. Has anyone tried this and what kind of results have you had? Thanks

rogerwilco

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 4, 2015
I live in Oklahoma and have a YS640. With temps in the mid-teens the cooker can keep up well, but it does eat pellets a bit faster. Tossing a welding blanket over the whole shebang made a noticeable difference in fuel consumption but was kind of unhandy. This year I might just try that nifty factory blanket.

I do feel, based on my limited experience, that an insulting blanket of some sort is worth having. As the cooker was able to keep up without a blanket, some may just elect to use more pellets.

jtrainor56

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 21, 2013
I started with the welding blanket as well but decided to get the thermal jacket. I have had my YS640 for over 2.5 years and had the thermal jacket on for the past 18 months. It's convenient to keep on and it looks good. I did take it off for three weeks back in August to clean and paint a few small rust spots but put it back on. Even in the summer i find my pellet consumption is lower than it was during the three weeks without it on.  I have smoked in freezing weather, snow and ice storms and it doesn't miss a beat.

I still have the welding blanket that I zip tied a tarp to one side and use it to cover the hopper if I get caught out in a downpour, which I have a number of times.

johiocity

Joined Oct 15, 2016
That's great news. Gets me one step closer to pulling the trigger. -Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.