Your pro tip to empty the sausage stuffer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BjornEK

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Molde, Norway
Hi and greetings from Norway!

I have a sausage stuffer like the one in the picture.
When I make a big portion of sausages I usually don't bother with the amount of meat lost in the bend and in the tube and just use it for meatballs or something else.

However. I like to experiment and make some small amounts as well. Do you have a pro tip to get all the meat in casings?

beeketal-wurstfuller-5l-vertikal.jpg

Take the tube off use it as a funnel with something like a wooden dowel or rod to push the meat through and into the casing. Then remove the meat from the elbow and push that through the tube into the casing. Lots of sausage back in the day were stuffed with just a funnel, the stuffing tube is just a long funnel.

Take the tube off use it as a funnel with something like a wooden dowel or rod to push the meat through and into the casing. Then remove the meat from the elbow and push that through the tube into the casing. Lots of sausage back in the day were stuffed with just a funnel, the stuffing tube is just a long funnel.

Exactly what we do, have different sized dowels for each tube!
Al

Smart and easy solution! Thank you!

has anybody ever tried dumping a few cups of water in and lowering the piston? would that water push by the meat or would it force the meat out and then water behind it?

I typically just take the tube off and use a little ball of paper towel pushed through with a wooden spoon handle, and then pull the paper towel out after I cut the casing off. the meat left in the elbow usually pops back up when I move the handle back to the fast gear and reverse it quickly, the suction pops it out and then I just dump that into a bowl to make a patty or two out of for breakfast the next day.

the eggs are intriguing though, not sure I need to spend $25 or so ( with shipping )to avoid what I have been doing, but if I ever need something from Waltons I will likely throw them in just to have them.

I typically just take the tube off and use a little ball of paper towel pushed through with a wooden spoon handle, and then pull the paper towel out after I cut the casing off
Just don't get in a hurry and forget the paper towel. I have and ended up with a towel sausage. My stuffing horns are the whiteish plastic ones you can kind of see through and normally I just push the paper towel right to the end of the horn and stop. On that last batch I did, I got in a hurry and shoved the towel into the casing and linked up the sausages with the paper towel and all in the end one.

Just don't get in a hurry and forget the paper towel. I have and ended up with a towel sausage. My stuffing horns are the whiteish plastic ones you can kind of see through and normally I just push the paper towel right to the end of the horn and stop. On that last batch I did, I got in a hurry and shoved the towel into the casing and linked up the sausages with the paper towel and all in the end one.
Good idea, the paper towel prevents drips while the links are hanging.:emoji_wink:

Reactions: DougE
Good idea, the paper towel prevents drips while the links are hanging.:emoji_wink:
I was cutting that particular sausage up to use in another dish when I got to the paper towel. I was, like, man that's a huge fat pocket, but it seemed awful tough for fat ....... then it dawned on me as to what it really was ...... the little wad of paper towel I used to clear the horn. OOPS

Sorry, but that's just funny. Sounds like something I would do.
No need to be sorry, I thought it was funny too. Just glad that sausage didn't end up on a bun on my or someone else's plate. Now that would have been both funny as all get out and also embarrassing to the guy who made the sausages.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky