Your input is appreciated - Trailer Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billm75

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm in the obsessing (planning) stages of a grill trailer build.  I say grill, because honestly, I think the rig will get more use as a grill setup than it will a smoker for where I intend to use it most of the time.

Since I'm not a welder, nor do I know any welders locally that can help me out, here's my plan.

I want a small trailer, so I'm looking at the 40 x 48 trailer from Harbor Freight Tools....budget is a big thing with me too.

I would like to purchase a smoker/grill unit from the store, similar to the Charbroil silver smoker, and modify it to fit on the rear half of the trailer.  The front will be framed in with storage space/lockers for supplies, coolers, etc.

My intended use for the rig is concessions at our Pop Warner football games during the fall and to take camping with the kids in the spring/summer so we have a good way to cook our meals while in the woods.  I don't mind tending the grill whatsoever, but I really don't want to get suckered into smoking shoulder and brisket for people on location, I'm not trying to become a caterer.  LOL  I can do a mean rack of ribs or smoked chicken on a charcoal grill anyways, and that's about as close to BBQ'ing as I wanted to get with this rig.

It's a ways off at this point, as Christmas is coming and the kids presents come first.  But if I could get some input from the pros here about my idea, it will help me start putting this together on paper and sourcing the parts and equipment I need for a late winter/early spring build if all goes well for me.

I've got other ideas for the trailer as well, including a built in canopy, signage (might as well promote my business while I'm cooking right?) and a few other niceties.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and your thoughts! 

Sounds like a good concept. If you want it just as a grill you may want to consider a santa marie style pit. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky