Your Favorite Pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lightngsvt

Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
In 1 week with my Rec-Tec Im already starting on my 2nd 40lb bag of pellets. Going to need to order more and wondering what your favorite pellets are?

anything Lumberjack, competitions blend is good and I burn a lot of the hickory

Reactions: 2008RN
I have a preference to these. I’ve tried lots of brands and these seem to burn the best in my smoker........and the best reason of all the local grocery store has them for 4.98 per 20Lbs!

8F364BF0-14DA-4431-A8D2-9585BF66D940.jpeg

Reactions: fullborebbq
Lumberjack Competition Blend (Maple, Hickory, Cherry) for everything I cook/smoke in my pellet grill. Works for me.

20 lbs for $5.00? holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I make lots of smoke with them! I use less pellets now because the copper pot and x-fire, but use to go through about 550ish lbs a year (about 10lbs a week) Now just 350ish....and at 5per 20 I buy a 100 lbs at a time.

Ps edit....cheeper than propane!

I amazon the rec tec hardwood hickory and oak blend. really diggin the flavs. I liked cookinpellets - but they were kinda weak on flavor...

$4.99 a bag! DAMN all i can find here is $15 a bag...just checked and they are on sale for $9.99. I may need to try these.

So questions about Lumberjack pellets.

1. Are they 100% flavor wood
  2. Price per pound you've found them for (and where)?
A lot of folks on here recommend those, but they also recommend Cookinpellets...thoughts?

So questions about Lumberjack pellets.

1. Are they 100% flavor wood
  2. Price per pound you've found them for (and where)?
A lot of folks on here recommend those, but they also recommend Cookinpellets...thoughts?

They sell 100% flavor wood pellets, as well as blends. Bags are clearly marked as to the type. I get them delivered in bulk to West Coast for about $0.40/lb.
Cookin Pellets are also very good, but harder to find at a good price.

I amazon the rec tec hardwood hickory and oak blend. really diggin the flavs. I liked cookinpellets - but they were kinda weak on flavor...

I like cookinpellets too, but they are priced much higher than the Lumberjack pellets that I bought, and the flavor of the two, at least to my tastes, is about the same.

The cookinpellets perfect mix were about $38.00 plus shipping for a 40lb bag.

This was at the same time that the Lumberjack was selling for $4.99 for a 20lb bag. So it was a no brainer.

Reactions: texomakid
My first "go to" pellets were Cooking Pellets. They are fantastic. I've used close to 800 lbs of them. Perfect Mix, Hickory, & Black Cherry are as good as any pellet on the market - 100% of the wood that is advertised, no fillers, no flavored oil, Very good pellet. The only pellets I didn't like from Cooking Pellets was the Sweet Maple and those pellets were coming apart and not staying in pellet form. That bag is the only bag I've ever seen that happen and I threw away the last 15 lbs of that 40 lbs bag. I'm not cooking with powder. It' messy!

Best deal I could find on Cooking Pellets was their 15 x 40# bag for $390 with free delivery - That's .65 cents per lbs

Lumberjack pellets are 100% of the wood advertised (except for some of their blends but they say what they are), no flavored oil, and like the Cooking Pellets they are a great pellet.

Normal price @ Atwoods is $8.99 for a 20# bag normal price - That's about $9.70 after tax. .49 cents per pound.

Other than the fact that the Lumberjack pellets are a bit smaller in size than the Cooking Pellets I haven't been able to tell any difference.

For me, it's Lumberjack all the way. My last batch was purchased @ $4.99/bag - Only issue I didn't buy more. Won't happen again!

My favorite is mixing the 100% Hickory & 100% Cherry - to me, this is the PERFECT cooking pellet for flavor, aroma, & overall results of my smoked meat. I don't think there's a better bang for the buck.

For me, it's Lumberjack all the way. My last batch was purchased @ $4.99/bag - Only issue I didn't buy more. Won't happen again!

My favorite is mixing the 100% Hickory & 100% Cherry - to me, this is the PERFECT cooking pellet for flavor, aroma, & overall results of my smoked meat. I don't think there's a better bang for the buck.
Could not agree more with all the above, especially the hickory/cherry mix.

Reactions: texomakid
I get LJ at Rural King , its always $8.88 and was on sale awhile back for $4.99 a 20lbs bag.

Reactions: Humo18
I stand corrected on that sale price - I got sucked into the moment I guess. Atwoods ran Lumberjack pellets on sale about 2 months ago for $6.99 a bag and I bought 12 bags ($8.99 regular price). We don't have a Rural King.

I get mine through a home owner distributer for $10/20 lbs out the door for the Comp Blend (M-H-C). Other sellers in my area sell them for $13/20 lbs and up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky