Yet another Prime Rib thread, with QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wlkwichita

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Wichita Kansas
  Ahh yes. holiday time when prime rib is on sale. I prepared a 6 pounder today. This cut had better marbling than previous purchases. I also cut the bone "almost" free, and bound the roast with butchers twine. I apllied a light amount of EVOO, and then some garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper. Smoked over apple, let it rest a few, and we chowed down!! The family has voted this one the best prime rib so far :) The beagle had some meat as well, and enjoyed gnawing on what little was left on the bones :)

ada28963_primeribreadytosmoke12-19-2010.jpg

2ed6e7c0_Primeriboutofsmoker12-19-2010.jpg

5b095803_PrimeRibserved12-19-2010.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: meateater
That looks awesome nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I love doing rib roasts in the smoker (as does the rest of the family) and that one is gorgeous!

PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif
 what? to much?
PDT_Armataz_01_02.gif
 one can never have to much of such an awesome looking thread, you did wonderful

man makes me wish i wouldnt be so cheap and go get me one again

HELP ME

I am trying my first prime rib for xmas eve.

What were the details? How did you get the outside to crust over? temp, time???

Thanks for any info!

I did nothing special to the outside. I applied a very thin amount of Extra Virgin Olive oil, and then garlic salt and cracked pepper. Smoker temp ran around 230F, ocasionally reaching 245F. it took about 4 1/2 hours for this 5 pounder to hit 140F internal. I let it rest in foil for about 15 minutes, and then we chowed down :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky