• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Yet another Prime Rib thread, with QView

wlkwichita

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 18, 2010
  Ahh yes. holiday time when prime rib is on sale. I prepared a 6 pounder today. This cut had better marbling than previous purchases. I also cut the bone "almost" free, and bound the roast with butchers twine. I apllied a light amount of EVOO, and then some garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper. Smoked over apple, let it rest a few, and we chowed down!! The family has voted this one the best prime rib so far :) The beagle had some meat as well, and enjoyed gnawing on what little was left on the bones :)

Last edited:

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
That looks awesome nice job

ondagawood

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 22, 2010
 That looks fabulous !  & delicious, nice job. How long did it take to smoke & your avg. temp ?

Thx,

Scott

tbakko

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 3, 2010
Prime rib looked great, and the rest of the plate was nothing to sneeze at, cudo's

mr mac

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 19, 2009
I love doing rib roasts in the smoker (as does the rest of the family) and that one is gorgeous!

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
That looks delicious. I finally get go smoke my first one this coming Sunday for Xmas with the in-laws. I hope mine comes out as good as yours.

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
That PR looks terrific, Was wondering What temp, time, and what was the internal temp when you pulled? It definitely looks great 

brdprey

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 8, 2009
 what? to much?
 one can never have to much of such an awesome looking thread, you did wonderful

man makes me wish i wouldnt be so cheap and go get me one again

herman4

Joined Sep 13, 2010
HELP ME

I am trying my first prime rib for xmas eve.

What were the details? How did you get the outside to crust over? temp, time???

Thanks for any info!

wlkwichita

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 18, 2010
I did nothing special to the outside. I applied a very thin amount of Extra Virgin Olive oil, and then garlic salt and cracked pepper. Smoker temp ran around 230F, ocasionally reaching 245F. it took about 4 1/2 hours for this 5 pounder to hit 140F internal. I let it rest in foil for about 15 minutes, and then we chowed down :)

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Looks Great!

What smoker did you use?

Todd

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.