Yet another Pastrami thread.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Well after reading chopsaw chopsaw , bill ace 350 bill ace 350 , fxsales1959 fxsales1959 threads very recently I had to do it.

I already had a corned beef in the freezer a 3 pounder flat cut. Over night soak with a couple water changes.
IMG_5453.JPG

rubbed with the usual spices, coriander, bay leaf, pepper and I am sure other stuff. It has been a while since I blended this.
IMG_5454.JPG

Onto the MB800 with mesquite briquettes and hickory chunks and a couple of cherry chunks. Was on there for about 6 hours with temps going from 225 - 275, wind was certainly a factor. Pulled at 160. Fat side scored and facing up.
IMG_5455.JPG

Took Rich's chopsaw chopsaw advice and into the Cassori (cheaper version of an instapot). I believe thirdeye thirdeye was the originator of this finish method? Anyway, went 45 minutes full pressure, fat side down and natural release..still tough. Went another 30 same way and perfection.
IMG_5459.JPG

Onto the slicer for thin slicing.
IMG_5460.JPG

Making the Sammie, Got me some nice, unsliced marble rye from the bakery.
IMG_5451.JPG

Started some greens, OK opened the glory brand can and added onions and bacon. Honestly, I have stopped trying to make my own and grab their canned versions and just kick it up a bit.
IMG_5458.JPG

Bread getting some melted cheese.
IMG_5456.JPG

All made up with sauerkraut, thousand Island and hot sauce on the greens.
IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

Of course the obligatory David shot DRKsmoking DRKsmoking .
IMG_5463.JPG

I will say this is the only way I will ever do this anymore, the finish in the instapot is the key. I am sure timing will vary by cut/ brand but what brisket is not like that? just keep checking with a probe. I want to thank chopsaw chopsaw for his help along the way on this.

Awesome !! What a fantastic sandwich .
I believe thirdeye thirdeye was the originator of this finish method?
Yup . I took his lead on this , made some adjustments on the second one .

I will say this is the only way I will ever do this anymore, the finish in the instapot is the key.
It's crazy how good it is . So tender .
You're right . There will be some time adjustments for the pressure finish , depending on the cut , size and the meat itself .
Cliff , I'm happy it came out bud .
Really nice work .
Now cure your own and it gets even better . Hey , the store bought comes out damn good though .

Reactions: clifish
Looks great, I like to throw it in the fridge for 3-4 hours if I am going to use the electric slicer, it firms up enough to not fall apart with thin slices, coarse right out of the pot to the bread is hard to beat lol

Awesome !! What a fantastic sandwich .

Yup . I took his lead on this , made some adjustments on the second one .

It's crazy how good it is . So tender .
You're right . There will be some time adjustments for the pressure finish , depending on the cut , size and the meat itself .
Cliff , I'm happy it came out bud .
Really nice work .
Now cure your own and it gets even better . Hey , the store bought comes out damn good though .
yeah, curing, fermenting, sausage making are all on future to do list...maybe when I retire?

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great, I like to throw it in the fridge for 3-4 hours if I am going to use the electric slicer, it firms up enough to not fall apart with thin slices, coarse right out of the pot to the bread is hard to beat lol
Thanks, I wanted a warm sandwich for dinner and it was getting late. It actually sliced pretty good on my cheap slicer, very little shredding.

I believe thirdeye thirdeye was the originator of this finish method? Anyway, went 45 minutes full pressure, fat side down and natural release..still tough. Went another 30 same way and perfection.
That looks really nice, and the slicing is perfecto. Grobbel's is an excellent brand. My Sam's carried that brand for many years, then introduced their Member Mark brand. I'm betting it's a Grobbel's product that has been re-branded, but can't confirm that. I'll make a note of your pressure times.

Thanks for the compliment of being the pioneer of a pressure finish, but in the 1930's my Grandmother pressure canned a lot of wild game, beef, chicken and also home corned beef and venison..., and the family cooked a lot of meats in a pressure cooker. So, my Grandmother gets the credit for teaching it to me. That said, I have promoted the pressure finish on several BBQ forums since the early 2000's.

Thanks Charles, one thing I forgot to mention is I used a can of beer and some water in the instapot at the end, just enough to still be below the meat.

used a can of beer and some water in the instapot at the end, just enough to still be below the meat.
Good idea . I was thinking about the pack of pickling spice that came with it , or maybe some rosemary and thyme .

Man Cliff you're killing me!! What a beautiful bunch of slices and dang that sandwich! I've got about a half dozen Groebel points stashed.

Man Cliff you're killing me!! What a beautiful bunch of slices and dang that sandwich! I've got about a half dozen Groebel points stashed.
I am sorry I did not look around after St. Patrick's day, probably some good corned beef deals to be had. I would like to try the point on this as well.

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
You guys and the pastrami these days. You're killing me. Fantastic looking Sammy Cliff.

Point for sure
Chris

I am sorry I did not look around after St. Patrick's day, probably some good corned beef deals to be had
Not around here. I think they jacked the price up this year post St. Patties day.

Reactions: clifish and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky