Yet Another Dual-Pork Butt Smokola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ranger72

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 18, 2005
Ok Guys!

I went to my meat purveyor and found that they had a couple of Butts lying around :lol:

Here they are in the package:

Now I have taken them out of the package and have applied a light to medium coating of rub:

very simple:A good quality Lemon Pepper along with Garlic powder and a lemon flavored chili powder (Chili Con Limon) and a small amount of kosher salt..

Lightly sprinkled and rubbed in and here is what they look like now..

I have gotten my smoker and my secondary feeding fire ready about 1 & 1/2 hours prior to actually putting the butts in the smoker.

I live in Maine and in the winter if there is a cold wind the whole project takes longer and uses more fuel..

For this smoke I am using white oak, maple, and hickory chunks along with hardwood lump charcoal:

I started to mop the butts after they had been in the smoker for a few hours,By waiting awhile the rub gets a chance to set well onto the meat and your mopping process is not so apt to wash away the rub.

The Mop I used for this batch was as follows:

6 cups Motts Apple Juice
2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons Corn Oil
3 Tablespoons Worcestorshire Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Grey Poupon Mustard
2 Tablespoons of the rub
1 medium onion (small chop)
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
Saute the onion in the canola oil til onion is soft and clear then add all other items and bring to a quick boil and then reduce to a simmer for a while to blend all the flavors....

After thee initial mop I mopped this about every 1hour and 30 minutes..

This is what the butts looked like after the first three hours 8)

The butts went in the smoker at 3:00pm and at 1:00am both butts had internal temperatures of about 165 degrees...so at that point I'd had enough Fun and wrapped the butts in several layers of foil and placed them in the oven at 220 degrees and put my sorry donkey to bed for a nap.. :lol:

Got up at 6:00am and checked internal temperature once again with my quick read thermometer and found the internal temp to be 190 degrees...

so I took them out and they looked like this before I pulled them: :D :D :D

Then I chopped and pulled the "Oh! So Tender falling off the butt bones Pork!" :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

And it looked like this!

Now the pork was all done very hot and juicy and then I sprinkled more of the rub on the meat and then placed the pulled pork in this big stock pot and covered it and put it out in the snowbank to chill it down very fast for Food Handling safety reasons.. 8)

Then later that day when our company came we served them The pork on a nice roll along with cole slaw we made and lots of garlic dills from our garden

And a good time was had by all!

Warm Regards to all my friends here in the forums

ranger72 :) :)

P.S. If you already know your way around a smoker then peek and figure out when the next time will be for you.....

If you are new to meat smoking then this is just one more tute for you to learn from (and drool)....

Pork looks absolutely wonderful. I see multiple benefits to that secondary fire.
wink.gif

Ranger 72,
Now that looks like some fine BBQ! And also, your presentation is wonderful. Folks can learn from that. Again, this forum is where it's at! Only one concern. I live in Florida and that white stuff around your smoker doesn't look like sand..... brrr.

Bob and Bill,

Thank you for the compliment...

It was quite tasty and I wish there was away to share with my friends here and I know lots of other guys and gals here feel the same way..

ranger72 :)

RANGER, I give that a 5 thumbs up (5 is top), looks great and I would guess tastes even better. I'm glad to see the pictures, worth a thousand words. I snuck home a couple more butts yesterday and put them in the freezer, wife thinks I'm, :roll: well, nuts (10 butts already in freezer), you never know, tomorrow they could start to ration butt, and that would be bad. Keep up the good work Ranger. BEAR

Hey to Bear!

Geez Bear! Thanks for the accolades! I also believe in hoarding butts...ya never know :twisted:

I also enjoyed your post on Beer can chicken (more about butts) ya know! the beer can thing! :lol:

I am going over there now to post my most delicious mop for your Beer Can Chicken and so for the folks who may not be familiar with that excellent thread, go here, to find out how to do a beer can chicken and my most delicious mop for same: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=526

Ranger72 :D 8)

I bumped this so some of the newer forum members can see the tutorial pics etc.

Gives an idea of what we are trying to achieve.

enjoy!

ranger72

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky