Yet another commercial fridge to (cold)smoker question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stringman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Hi all

After giving up on my idea of using a wine cooler as a cold smoker ( too much plastic let alone foam and it wouldn't cool at all) I have managed to buy a Williams commercial fridge (22cubic feet) that still works (well cools to 10-12 deg c)

Unless its ridiculously easy to get the foam out I will be using it as a cold smoker only and leave the foam intact.
So I have lots of ideas and questions so if I could put forward my plans and ask some advice i would be so grateful for any responses.

1) I originally thought of just putting in my maze smoker at the bottom with some vents and a chimney and away I go. I have since read up and have concluded that unless i want a quick blast of smoke this is not the way 2 go. Correct?

2) So i will either use a remote fire box or a venturi smoker.
I am thinking the remote box will be the first option as i already have a maze smoker and
a small kettle bbq to act as my fire box. This will feed to the fridge via 80mm (3")
Metal pipe.
Will the maze provide enough smoke?
Is 3" big enough for the inlet pipe?
Will 3" be a big enough chimney?

This is where it gets complicated lol

3) If the fridge is running and its cool (not cold) i can foresee some circulation problems.
My original idea was to pipe the smoke in at the bottom of the fridge from the side
and have the chimney at the top on the opposite side. But cold air sinks and may not let
the smoke flow out. (I intend to a have a fan inside fridge just blowing the air around)
So could i put the smoke input at the top and the exhaust at the bottom?

4) I saw post a little cpu fan acted like a blower on the chimney.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/another-mes-mod-cold-smoker-assist.270750/page-2
Would this help with the exhaust in either position

5) My idea was to have the fridge with 2 3" collars to the sides (1 top, 1 bottom) To these
collars I would fit the smoke inlet and chimney (with the option of swapping them if
required for firebox smoking, or chimney in the top and bottom as a vent for direct
smoking. Does this sound viable?

Many thanks in advance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky