Yet another beer-can chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingn00b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
Kenosha, WI
Alright, I gave beer-can chicken another run on the smoker today. I think it turned out pretty well. Let me see if I can remember all the details that might interest you guys. It was your basic chicken rubbed down with some store-bought basic rub. I got under the skin with a lot of it because I don't usually like the way the skin turns out on smoked chickens so I just ripped it off when it was done. I smoked it on my electric brinkman. It took exactly 4 hours to get up to 165 degrees. I used chunks of hickory mixed with a few chips of cherry wood. Every hour or so I sprayed it down with some diluted apple juice and used some apple juice in the water bowl also. I whipped up a white sauce that I found on the boards. Supposedly it was Big Bob Gibson's or at least something like it. It was pretty runny and thin, is it supposed to be that way? We don't have white sauces up here in the north so I can't compare it to anything. I also whipped up some of Lady J's bourbon mustard which is just 1/4 cup Spicy Brown Mustard, 1/4 cup honey, and a tablespoon or two of your favorite bourbon or whiskey. I used Jack Daniels. The white sauce was pretty good but that mustard is just hard to lay off of. I think that covers most of it. Oh, and the most important part, the pics:
044fb7f8_vbattach10750.jpg

751f0c57_vbattach10748.jpg

1cf327f9_vbattach10749.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on the bird, smokingn00b. I'm going to have to try them sauces.

I know I'm late getting to the party but the color on that bird is fantastic! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky