Yes, more Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Just trying to make some room in the freezer for 2021 catch. 8 tails and 10 filets were elected. We will be running into some winter weather starting tomorrow so I thought today is the last decent weather day for awhile, so..... lets go.

Dry brined in my standard 4/1 ratio of brn sugar/salt for 7 hours
Room dry for 2.5 hours
Smoke at my typical 125-140 degree range for 4 hours.

Perfect for the winter run of Smoked Salmon pasta and Smoked Salmon chowder.

IMG_1990.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1988.JPG

Last edited:
Winter weather in the SF Bay Area? Means drizzle with lows in the mid 40's highs in the mid 70's.:emoji_laughing:

Thanks everyone. I was down to just 2 smoked tails, so the pressure was on, especially with our very wintery forecast coming up. I just heard that we will be doing some smoked Salmon chowder in the next couple days.

Hmmmmm, better find some smok'd fish :emoji_laughing:

That looks awesome! How did you decide on the 4:1 ratio for sugar to salt? I smoke salmon also and most of the recipes I've seen/ used have been 1:1 or 2:1. I
am impressed with the way yours appears.

Half to the freezer. The rest to be given away........
IMG_1993.JPG

That looks awesome! How did you decide on the 4:1 ratio for sugar to salt? I smoke salmon also and most of the recipes I've seen/ used have been 1:1 or 2:1. I
am impressed with the way yours appears.
Years of testing with different brines. Don't like my fish too salty.

Reactions: WI Smoker77
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky