Yes another new member and from Thailand

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

farmer fly

Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Thailand
I did live in California many years ago but have settled in Asia and now have a little place in the jungles of Thailand.
I have a nice 3 burner grill that I use to smoke but have a problem getting the temp low enough. Have adjusted the regulator and thats the only thing left other than the temp controls on the grill. One burner on low and 125C is it. Any suggestions??
Really like Jeffs recipe but cant find coarse salt or molasses and things like that

Any help on the grill will be greatly appreciated and glad to be part of the site

Cheers,
Farmer Fly

Welcome to the forum!! I just returned from Thailand a few weeks ago.....

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you can find some suitable substitutes for the molasses. Looking forward to some Qview of local meats (water buffalo?)
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us. The challenge with using a grill for smoking is the difficulty in getting indirect heat. As you already stated, its difficult to get the temp low and slow enough, because the meat is too close to the heat source. Check out this link. It descibes a gas grill setup for slow smoking. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks do-able.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Here's a place where I've been getting my molasses for years ('course I lived nearby) and they don't list it on their website. But they do sell it at their shop- blackstrap molasses processed locally. It is goo-o-o-d. I am sure if you contact them and ask they will accomodate..they are just a nice old-time Virginia family that run the business. They grow their own hogs, and cure them too.

I've always bought country hams there and since I have moved to the MidWest, I order them by mail. Cannot be beat.

www.adamspeanuts.com

TEL: 757-899-8651
FAX: 757-899-7060
MAIL: Adam's Peanuts & Country Store, 9243 General Mahone Highway, Waverly, Virginia, 23890

Good luck to you and again, welcome.

WOW thanks for that info. I tested a pan of water and got the grill down to a bit over 100C. I use one burner on the grill for the smoke pouches and now put the water tray on the other two and the grills over that. Even being a retired engineer guess the retired says it all as I dont look at the simple solutions but want to redesign. Thanks again and if your ever in Thailand our house is always open to everyone expecially smokers (by food only!)

Yes your right cooking is my number two hobby second only to sailing. Finding supplies is difficult even with wood chips but when I come upon some in homepro stores I stock up. Thanks for the reply and cheers to all in the states

Well nogo for me on water buffalo or the skinny chickens that run around our jungle hut. The only good meat is pork. Its cheap and the number one in Thailand. it runs about 1.30 per pound for any cut. Havent been in the states for many many years but think that is a good price for tenderloin and loin and such. At least I can afford it. Its an 1 1/2 hours to the nearest town with any good stores for shopping so I buy as much as I can put in my freezer hoping the power doesnt go off.
Thanks for your response.

I'm glad to help! I doubt if I'll ever make it to Thailand, but thanks for the invite. Same goes for you, if you ever get to Oklahoma, look us up. In the meantime, keep us imformed of your smoking progress.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky