year around cold smoker...inputs appreciated...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
Please bear with my English (second language, I am sure it will get confusing...lol)
I have been toying with idea to make all year around smoker that will mimic winter condition...
idea is to use big ass fridge in good working condition (biggest size I can get my hands on) and install computer cooling fans plus humidifier and use smoke generator to bring smoke inside fridge....fridge should hold temp at around 8 to 16 deg Celsius....This rig will allow me to smoke at low temp even trough the summer... what do you think?

Good idea.... Humidity is important so the meat doesn't dry on the outside, case hardening, forming a crust that won't allow smoke penetration and moisture to escape.. generally, from what I've read, 75-80% humidity is desirable... any higher, mold can form...

Reactions: dernektambura
Please bear with my English (second language, I am sure it will get confusing...lol)
I have been toying with idea to make all year around smoker that will mimic winter condition...
idea is to use big ass fridge in good working condition (biggest size I can get my hands on) and install computer cooling fans plus humidifier and use smoke generator to bring smoke inside fridge....fridge should hold temp at around 8 to 16 deg Celsius....This rig will allow me to smoke at low temp even trough the summer... what do you think?

Sounds like a cool idea.
The best "prime rib" I've ever had was at a nice restaurant in Atlanta, GA where they took giant bone in cuts of a standing rib roast and cold smoked them for 12 hours.
They then seared/grilled the steaks and brought them to you.....WOW!!!! These things were totally amazing and could only be cold smoked for 12 hours if they were done in a refrigerated environment.

Also I would get sushi at a place where the guy made his own raw cold smoked salmon.
He created a setup where the salmon would sit on ice in come kind of chamber and he would flow smoke through this salmon to smoke it without cooking it yet keeping it raw sushi grade and refrigerated the entire time.
He would use this salmon for his Philadelphia rolls. The smoked salmon with the cream cheese was AMAZING!!!!

These are just 2 examples of amazing food I've eaten that was smoked in an environment similar to what you plan to do. Best of luck and keep us updated! :)

Reactions: dernektambura
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky