Yankee's Oklahoma Joe Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
So, here it is, a Highland. Did some work on it this past weekend.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/content/type/61/id/529074/width/200/height/400[/IMG
[GALLERY="media, 529075"][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY="media, 529076"][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY="media, 529077"][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY="media, 529078"][/GALLERY]

Last edited:
I need to find a good welding machine to learn how to do welds. Only issue with that, though, is that I'd then need to purchase a metal cutter, blah blah blah.. I'd love to be able to mod my generic grill to be something amazing, but I just don't have the supplies. Looking good though!

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I understand what your saying.  It was a big expense to purchase a welder and all the welding supplies and auto body air tools for my scout ii project.  However, the welder came in handy for many projects not just for working on my scout project!  It was well worth the purchase.  Do your research on welders and go from there.  I purchased my from Northern Tool (online) free shipping.  It is the Hobart 140 model.  Plugs into a regular 110 outlet.  Works great!  And I was at the time knew very little about welding....so if I can do it, you sure can!

As for as my OK Joe build, I made a firebox grate and charcoal basket.  The materials I used was rebar.  I had the material left over from a concrete job.   Finally, ordered some gasket material from BBQmods.com.  Will add pictures later as soon as I learn how to get my pictures off my Iphone to this laptop.  Sorry, kinda old school and still learning about the iphone crap.

Getting ready for my first smoke.  Plan on smoking ribs on Sunday, for my daughter's birthday.  

Justin

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I understand what your saying.  It was a big expense to purchase a welder and all the welding supplies and auto body air tools for my scout ii project.  However, the welder came in handy for many projects not just for working on my scout project!  It was well worth the purchase.  Do your research on welders and go from there.  I purchased my from Northern Tool (online) free shipping.  It is the Hobart 140 model.  Plugs into a regular 110 outlet.  Works great!  And I was at the time knew very little about welding....so if I can do it, you sure can!

As for as my OK Joe build, I made a firebox grate and charcoal basket.  The materials I used was rebar.  I had the material left over from a concrete job.   Finally, ordered some gasket material from BBQmods.com.  Will add pictures later as soon as I learn how to get my pictures off my Iphone to this laptop.  Sorry, kinda old school and still learning about the iphone crap.

Getting ready for my first smoke.  Plan on smoking ribs on Sunday, for my daughter's birthday.  

Justin
Nice! Hope you guys enjoy! I've thought many times about picking up a welder and just learning how to do it. Maybe I should just take that plunge... So many things you can do with a welder that it's uses and usefulness would be unlimited.

Man I hope your smoker works as planned and I know this is a smoking forum but I would really like to also see some pics of your scout. I don't have one now but have built several in the past and I'm definitely an international nut.

Man that' scout is going to be sweet. I always wanted to do one totally frame off. Good luck and I will keep watching

Well, had some issues with the temp.  I couldn't get the temp above 200 degrees. I had to place a small desk fan right in front of the fire box air intake in order to get the temp. up to about 235. I did more mods by adding another 3 1/2 inch vent hole in the fire box.  We will see if that helps. 

Looks awesome man!
first.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky