1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Xmas dinner. Prime rib and ham qview

Discussion in 'Beef' started by mole177, Dec 24, 2010.

1. mole177

mole177 Fire Starter

Well... looks like I will be doing first Bone-in usda prime prime rib.

[​IMG]

I only have a measly ECB to do this. So I might do the ham first thing in the morning. aka, 8am or when I get up. I'm planning to do a pineapple sweet glaze one side and jeff's savory rub on the other side, a HYBRID ham! Already cooked so it can't be too tricky.

The P PR is going to be a challenge. I think i'll keep a minimal prep, fresh minced garlic, onion and garlic powders, some olive oil... is there anything i left out? No fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme avail :( I have dried stuff like oregano/basil...

I plan on cutting a slit where the rib touches and putting some of that garlic/onion powder minced garlic. ( good or bad idea?)

oh yeah. IT's not going to fit on the grill whole slab, so should I cut 3 or 4 ribs on the smaller side (toward the rear ?)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Sounds like you have a good plan good luck with your smoke

3. meateater

meateater Legendary Pitmaster SMF Premier Member

I'd keep that baby whole and go low and slow. Don't rush such a beauty. Folks will be here all day if you get into a jam. [​IMG]

4. mole177

mole177 Fire Starter

Well, I diced it into 4 bone with a slit right above the rib.

Next time, less seasoning in the slit/pocket.

used Red Oak. man those chunks are huge compared to others i've used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

critiques welcomed.

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now thats a thing of beauty there Mole. It looks alot like the one I smoked myself. I love the ribs the best.