WSM which size?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jloewe

Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
Massachusetts
Somewhat new to smoking took it up last summer. Done ribs, chuck roast,
Lots of pork butts (my fave so far) a couple turkeys (also love) been using my Weber kettle. Looking to branch into the world of stand alone smokers.

Here’s me. Usually just a family of 4. We never really host. Have done and plan to do more turkeys. Want to dabble in some brisket. Also looking to consider big smokes just for the prep aspect as I’m a cyclist and don’t always have time to cook so massive leftovers is ok if I can food prep big time over a long weekend.

looking wsm or something similar like the Cuisinart or char broil bullet, or even a UDS was recommended but I live in an apartment with a yard so I don’t know if I can do a lot of work outside as far as building goes.

Reactions: kruizer
I would check the apartment law/restrictions. its been a while but most say no grills of any kind on the deck/porch. :(

BUT WSMs are solid! I would go that route of what you mentioned. lots of users here too. lots of fun mods you can do. for a family of four I would go big. 22"

I just purchased the 22.5in because I didn’t want to be in a place where I needed or even wished I gotten more. I also have the 18in cusinart vertical smoker and it’s only ok. Can be good with some mods but chews through charcoal.

But I will say the 22.5 WSM is HUGE. Here’s a comparison between the WSM and 18in cuisinart in case storage is an issue. If it’s not, go big.

94C8FF52-83CC-4A18-9483-FA2CDF50CC54.jpeg

I have an 18, ribs and packers are a little too big so the ends can overcook, a 22 probably has no problem with them.

It's just my wife and me, but the 22.5" suits us just fine. I ALWAYS smoke/cook enough for leftovers. I can lay two untrimmed spare ribs on a grate. I've loaded a 23 or 25 lb turkey with no problems. We love pulled pork, so I usually do at least two full butts and freeze the excess. I rarely use the second grate, but it's nice to have if I need it.

I have the WSM 18, it stays in the camper. The 22's weren't made when I got it. It works well. I have done full packers on it with no problem. Ribs I use a rib rack 90% of the time, 3-2-1 can be done but its harder There is a learning curve to using them, but there is A LOT of info on here about them, which will lesson the curve, I learned by trial and error. One thing you will need is a GOOD thermometer, I recommend a 2 probe type.

this is an older post but i always recommend the 18.5". Yes with the 22.5" it's always "big enough" but i also see people abandoning them a lot because they're too big. I've seen a lot of ppl ditch 22.5's for 14.5's but i've never really seen a person ditch an 18.5. They're big enough to do about anything you want. The only "issue" is not doing full racks of ribs easily , but it can be done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky