WSM question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goobi99

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
South Fla
i know i have seen this discussed on here somewhere but ive searched up and down and cant find it. maybe the crash.. anyway here is my issue... i want to drill a hole on the bottom of the WSM for drainage. in order for the hole to be effective, i think it needs to be at least 1/2" wide. my question is wont that create an opening for air flow and affect the temps while im cooking? any ideas?

Whenever you drill a non-adjustable hole in a smoker, it's has potential to affect the equipment.

On the other hand, if you have the 2009 WSM, it is equipped with the ash guard. This should limit the amount of additional air flow. If you own a pre-2009 model, I would suggest using one of the 3 vents as your drain hole.

You might want to check on virtualweberbullet.com

Good Luck,
Merrill

i kind of wanted it to be in the middle on the bottom because i already use the side vents as a drain. i was looking to make it easier when the smoker gets wet from the sprinklers or rain

you will be fine, just adj. the vents acordingly for temps, not sure why you would need a drain, but it will work fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky