WSM - is it worth the expense?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ilbbqjunkie

Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
This may be blasphemy, but is the WSM really worth the expense?   I have the opportunity to purchase a lightly used 18.5 with cover for $175.00.   However I'm having a difficult time justifying the purchase. 

I have achieved good results with my 22-inch one touch kettle, ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc.  I can maintain a steady 200-225 temperature for hours on end with a little vigilance and practice.  Sure, it won't take as much meat as a WSM, but I generally cook for smaller crowds.  

I so want to 'join the club' but I really don't know if I'll gain that much.  Decisions, decisions...  :(

Get it!

The WSM makes smoking a real joy, as close to set it and forget it as you can get with a charcoal rig. I have a 22.5" WSM and a 22.5" Kettle, great combo.

Long or short term, that is a quality investment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky