WSM 22" - Finally got around to some minor mods!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

splendorlex

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Lake Geneva, WI
I've had my WSM for a couple of years now, and since my MES 40 is giving me consistent trouble, I think I'll be spending a lot more time with the WSM instead. To that end, I've been looking to add gaskets AND replace the flimsy door with the Cajun Bandit stainless steel version. My original door also didn't quite fit right, so there was always a good amount of leakage. Anyhow, I finally got the gaskets in place today. Here are some pics and then a question:

PXL_20210424_140836442.jpg

PXL_20210424_140845175.jpg

PXL_20210424_140847101.jpg

Now as you can see from the pics the adhesive got a little messy in a couple of spots. Do I need to worry about that at all? Should I try to clean it up somehow or will it be ok as-is? I hope to fire up this thing next weekend, so I'm giving it plenty of time to cure.

Fire it up and run it for a bit BEFORE you fire it up to put food in it and you'll be just fine. IF it bothers you a small scraper or razor blade will clean that up nicely.

Looks good to me. I made mistake of putting gasket on the bottom also. Now really hard to separate the two! I like using a clay saucer on top of water pan wrapped in foil. Easy clean up and good heat barrier. Another good mod is cutting a slot in top ring so wires lay flat across top without kinking.

I've had my WSM for a couple of years now, and since my MES 40 is giving me consistent trouble, I think I'll be spending a lot more time with the WSM instead. To that end, I've been looking to add gaskets AND replace the flimsy door with the Cajun Bandit stainless steel version. My original door also didn't quite fit right, so there was always a good amount of leakage. Anyhow, I finally got the gaskets in place today. Here are some pics and then a question:

View attachment 493802
View attachment 493803
View attachment 493804

Now as you can see from the pics the adhesive got a little messy in a couple of spots. Do I need to worry about that at all? Should I try to clean it up somehow or will it be ok as-is? I hope to fire up this thing next weekend, so I'm giving it plenty of time to cure.
I have the WSM 22 and did the same to mine, SS door and gaskets. Just a heads up on the gaskets....they didn’t last long and/or wasn’t needed. Let me explain:
1. The stainless steel door did not need a gasket. It fit better without it.
2. The gasket for the lid stayed in place for 3 smokes. The creosote built up from inside the lid and gasket stuck together and pulled up the gasket material.
My BEST advice to you is: the more you use your WSM the more it seals. Does that make sense?

Anyways, the WSM is a great smoker! You’ll be super happy with it!

I put the gasket material around the door opening as opposed to around the edges of the door itself. I have found that this works better with the stainless steel door.

Reactions: Workaholic
Just like S SlowmotionQue , I put the gasket material around the door opening on the body. The other thing I did, which I think has helped a lot, was that I gave it an hour or two, after putting g the gaskets in place, and then I put the smoker together, and let it finish curing that way. Allows the gasket to form to any inconsistencies. Good start to the upgrades.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky