WSM 22.5 questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lubbocksmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Lubbock Texas
Thought I would ask, I just fired up the new WSM and was wondering some things:

1. Use the drip pan not use the drip pan?

2. Hot or cold water in the drip pan

3. Seal the door, I played with a little and it looks like it can bend a little to seal up better

4. Good brand of thermoter?

And advice is welcomed and needed

What Dave said
icon14.gif

I answered in red.

Thought I would ask, I just fired up the new WSM and was wondering some things:

1. Use the drip pan not use the drip pan? It's a water pan, use it.

2. Hot or cold water in the drip pan. I use cold water and put the meat on when I first fire up the WSM, that way you cold smoke the meat for 45 minutes or so while the smoker is coming to temp. The meat will absorb more smoke when it's cold.

3. Seal the door, I played with a little and it looks like it can bend a little to seal up better. Yes you should tinker with the door and try to get the best fit you can. It will bend easily, just don't put a kink in it.

4. Good brand of thermoter? I use Taylor's & Accurites, they are inexpensive, but don't have a remote either. As long as you check the therm periodically in boiling water to make sure they are still accurate any therm will do. Wally World has digital one's for $15.

And advice is welcomed and needed

2nd part of that question  is use water inpan, or just wrap it with foil, i did see some poeple using sand?

Sand will work, but if you get any meat grease in it it's hard to clean. I use water & don't foil the pan. It's easy to clean, just a little dawn & a small brush, then rinse it out with a garden hose. I don't clean the bottom of the pan at all. It has a hard crust baked on it and I just leave it there.

Dave and Al got you covered, but I would recommend foiling the pan before adding the water. Then for clean up once you dump any left over water all you have to do is remove the foil and wipe the pan with a couple of paper towels.
biggrin.gif

The cold water method Al mentioned works if you have 65 degree plus weather, if you are trying to use your smoker in cold winter the water needs to be hot or you will spend all your time and fuel trying to get your smoker up to temp. Also with large pieces of meat you have to watch our for the 40-140 degree in 4 hrs. rule and that hour of "cold smoke" with cold water in the pan may bite you. Just some stuff to keep in mind while you learn what works best for you.

Johnny

The cold water method Al mentioned works if you have 65 degree plus weather, if you are trying to use your smoker in cold winter the water needs to be hot or you will spend all your time and fuel trying to get your smoker up to temp. Also with large pieces of meat you have to watch our for the 40-140 degree in 4 hrs. rule and that hour of "cold smoke" with cold water in the pan may bite you. Just some stuff to keep in mind while you learn what works best for you.

Johnny
Oh, good point, especially since you and I live on the opposite coast and much further north then Al.  Cold winter, heck where I live (on the bay) I'm lucky if we see much higher than the mid 70's anytime.

Yea, I guess I forgot about you guys trying to get a fire going in 10 degree weather. I gotta remember that everybody doesn't live in Florida. Having said that you northern guys might want to try that in the summer & I got the idea from Eric (forluvofsmoke) who puts snow in his water pan in the winter to get that cold smoke effect. You would have to ask him how he gets the temp up, but it seems to work for him.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky