WSM....18" or 22"???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

emorrow79

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Ohio
Hey there experts.  I'm buying my boyfriend the WSM smoker for Christmas, but I'm not sure which size to get.  He's a first time smoker and it's just the two of us, but we do entertain frequently.  Recommendations (cos it's $100 difference)???

Thanks!

Bigger IS often better.....especially with smokers and such. If $$ not an issue get the 22 inch. A very nice gift, by the way...will be enjoyed for a long time......Willie

Bigger IS often better.....especially with smokers and such. If $$ not an issue get the 22 inch. A very nice gift, by the way...will be enjoyed for a long time......Willie
yeahthat.gif

I don't think any guy has ever said, "gee whiz, if only it was smaller".  Expecially for the entertaining part, bigger allows more options.

Great idea for his gift, he will probably love it.

Good luck with it.

I concur with Chef Willie.  Make sure he gets the link to this web site so he signs up and posts his first smoke pictures which we call Q-View.

Happy Holidays & Smokin'

Thanks for the input. Bigger it is!  And the main reason I joined this site was for him.  Happy Holidays all

Hi

I have the 22' and it's only the two of us. I also do entertain in the warmer weather. If you entertain often then the 22' is better. It does burn a lot of charcoal but there is so much more room to feed a crowd. You can cook a lot on that thing. It does take you a few times to get used to controlling the vents, thermometers etc. brisket packer should always go on this one bc you fill up the charcoal once at most twice. And it's too large to fit on a 18'

On the flip side if you are just cooking for the two of you most of the time. I would suggest getting the 14.5 inch. It's a cute little smoker that is so easy to operate. You can cook a chicken and 1 rack of ribs. Or maybe a pork shoulder and some abt's. This smoker is perfect for camping. The draw back on this one is that it is a little expensive in comparison to the 18'

To me I think the 18' is perfect for a family of 4-6 if you smoke often ie: every Saturday. I think most of the posts I've read about the 18' say that they eventually grow out of it if feeding more than 2 people.

Please do not rule out the 18 either. It does hold quite a bit. Not as much as the 22' but you can still cook at least 3 boston butts. You (he) will enjoy it. It's a very easy smoker to operate. And it does not use as much fuel as the 22'

I hope this helps. Happy smoking!!

One more thing I'd like to add. Which ever one you buy, it is a great investment no matter what size you choose. You can always pay it forward.

The 22 has more capacity obviously but the 18" is more efficient.  One is $400 while the other is $300 but if you think outside the box and it takes little skills you can make more than the equivalent of both for less than $400. 

I have the 18". Unless you have a big family the 18 is good. There are two levels so the 18 will hold lots of meat. The 18 uses less charcoal than the 22. What ever you get you will love the WSM

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky