Wreck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kit s

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
Messed up state of California
Dang
Had a disastrous wreck in my repurposed smoking gun cabinet yesterday.
Was trying to smoke some ham hocks for beans. Amazing try with hickory dust. Darn thing would not stay lit. Maybe to much humidity?...was raining and cool. Any how had hock resting on a checkered plastic shelf as well as the try on one lower down in cabinet. Never again will I use the plastic though it has worked great with my smoke daddy, not meant for try and that is a fact. Well last time I again lit tray dust, it must have flamed or tray shifted off my wire frame that I had under it to keep it off the plastic shelf. What ever happened plastic caught on fire.
It put itself out but hocks ruined with plastic soot.
I really should have known better, and no excuse.
So really I just what help on try. Why would it not stay lit?
kit

Well chucked all already except trey...but I do have more of the plastic if that is what you want in form of pictures...i can do that. The squares are 1/2 x1/2" use them mostly for separating meat such as a couple of bacons

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 21
It sounds like you learned the hard way that plastic and fire don't mix well. As for the Amazin Smoker, you may be on the right track by thinking it could be humidity. Did you say you're using the amazin sawdust? For best results, you definitely need to keep it dry. If it's dry, it shouldn't be too hard to keep it lit...you might try zapping it in the microwave for a minute or 2 before lighting...just to drive off any moisture. Be careful not to leave it in the microwave too long or it could get hot enough to ignite.

Good luck and hope that helps...
Red

I use my microwave to dry pellets before using in my amazin tray. Like Red said, keep an eye on them so you don’t have another fire on your hands.

Thanks Coach and Red will try that..Red...ya I know...did a stupid thing just like people did on some of the calls I went too..also probably ruined the smoker...plastic soot and after smell taste it leaves is almost impossible to get out of wood .

Thanks Coach and Red will try that..Red...ya I know...did a stupid thing just like people did on some of the calls I went too..also probably ruined the smoker...plastic soot and after smell taste it leaves is almost impossible to get out of wood .

If you can get rid of the smell by doing a few dry runs with the AMNPS ,get some expandable metal from lowes or H depot
Richie

Sorry to hear about this kit. Plastic stink is going to be tough to get out. Are you packing the dust down? When I use dust in my tray I just sprinkle into the maze and then gently spread it even with my fingers. Being careful not to pack it together to much.

Chris

Sorry to hear about this kit. Plastic stink is going to be tough to get out. Are you packing the dust down? When I use dust in my tray I just sprinkle into the maze and then gently spread it even with my fingers. Being careful not to pack it together to much.

Chris
Did pack the first day then tried to just have lose still it went out and Jim yes I put it inside cabinet, but with holes that I have drilled in cabinet just for air flow it should be getting enough o2

My wife will never let me forget the time I nuked the pellets for too long and smoked up the whole kitchen. (And they say elephants never forget.) Watch your times when you do that.

Reactions: sigmo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky