Wrapping brisket vs stove

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokechump

Original poster
Mar 10, 2017
Hello
I understand that many believe that brisket should be wrapped around 165-175 degrees. If I am wrapping my brisket, is there a reason to keep it in the smoker or just putting it in the stove (wrapped) at the same temp? I think stove has significantly more stable temperature and better seal. So if brisket is not getting more smoke because of wrap, why keep it in the smoker?

Thank you

You are correct once foiled it does not matter both are just ovens.
Some people up the temp in the oven and some of us don't

You can cook it anyway you want you wrap it. But I will suggest buying a roll of pink butcher paper instead of using foil. Itll save your bark and that’s just about the best part of the brisket in my opinion.

Good luck
Scott

I use butcher paper, so I keep mine in the smoker under the impression that the paper allows some breathing, thus some extra smoke flavor penetrates. Whether this is actually true, I have no idea.

However, anything that I pan or foil I bring inside and stick in the oven for the exact reason you stated above.

Yep, you can just cook it in the oven the rest of the way.

FWIW, I don't wrap my briskets at a specific temp but wrap when the bark is set and reaches the color of my liking. I also use butcher paper. Also, depending on your smoker, it most likely has a steadier temperature than your oven. Ovens temps can yo-yo quite and bit and there is nothing really wrong with that.

When I do briskies on the stick burner, I take them off when I wrap and put them either in my electric smoker or oven. 5-6 hours manning the off-set is all I can take usually. I'm a lazy smoker.

Maybe wrapped in butcher paper and then placed in an uncovered aluminum pan in the oven would retain some of the bark.

Some smokers will maintain a more even temp. I checked our oven a while back and it had a 26° swing back and forth from set temp.( Not really a deal breaker by any means) but if you prefer a set temp for your cook.

I like to consolidate my mess to one spot so stick with the smoker. Now when I say “I” I mostly mean my wife LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky