Would you eat these?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 30, 2018
SE Arizona
Sunday was a beautiful perfect day here my neck of the woods so I decided to try out the new roti ring on my new kettle.
20220116_131755.jpg

So I decided to spin a couple of cornish hens. No brine and no salt other than what is in the rub and glaze. Lightly dusted them with BGE Pecan Rub.
The cavities are stuffed with one onion and one lemon wedge along with sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary and sage leaves.
Also tossed in a huge yam just for grins and giggles. That my new drip pan/griddle down there. It included a roasting rack.
20220116_131837.jpg

Been rolling along with applewood chunks at 330° according to the lid therm. I still need to check it for accuracy.
20220116_141823.jpg

Applied a thin glaze of Stonewall Kitchen Smokey Peach Whiskey Sauce. They'll be ready soon going by the instant read therm.
20220116_145643.jpg

Resting on the kitchen counter. These pics don't do justice to the hens. The color was spectacular in person.
Sorry for not getting any money shots or plated shots. We were starving.
20220116_162349.jpg

I love this kettle. The temps are a breeze to control. I've been playing around with the kettle for a couple of weeks.
As for the roti ring, I couldn't even hear it runnning and would go check on it. LOL.
I didn't even need to use the spitrod counterweight this time.

Thanks for stopping by.

Stu

Short answer is yes I would!Stu those birds look fabulous! I haven’t had Cornish hens in years. I’ll bet those really hit the spot. I need to figure out a rotisserie set up for my Kamado.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Short answer is yes I would!Stu those birds look fabulous! I haven’t had Cornish hens in years. I’ll bet those really hit the spot. I need to figure out a rotisserie set up for my Kamado.

Thank you, Jeff. They are getting hard to find down here (supply issues). If you can find a set up for the Kamado, then do it. You'll love it.

Reactions: jcam222
Nope. Don't eat them...they look horrible...and probably under cooked! You need to send them to me just to make sure they are safe! <sarc> LOL!

Awesome looking chickens. Skin looks perfectly crisp! Nicely done!
:emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Thanks again, Keith. They were mighty delicious and juicy too.
You're right about the skin too.

That right there is a work of art. Game hens are fantastic. I love to throw them in with other things I’m smoking because they are so crazy good and they cook up really fast. I‘ve never put them on the Roti because they're so small so I guess I missed out on that. It’s a great idea to tie them up and put them on that way.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That right there is a work of art. Game hens are fantastic. I love to throw them in with other things I’m smoking because they are so crazy good and they cook up really fast. I‘ve never put them on the Roti because they're so small so I guess I missed out on that. It’s a great idea to tie them up and put them on that way.

Thank you.
Give the roti a try sometime and you'll be very plesed with the results.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Hey Stu,

That's a great looking kettle, and pair of birds.

I've been thinking about a spinner for my kettle for years. Your kicking me over the edge.

Thanks!
Yeah, I went back and forth before pulling the trigger on the Roti. But don't let me twist your arm. :emoji_sunglasses:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky