• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Would you eat these?

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Sunday was a beautiful perfect day here my neck of the woods so I decided to try out the new roti ring on my new kettle.
20220116_131755.jpg

So I decided to spin a couple of cornish hens. No brine and no salt other than what is in the rub and glaze. Lightly dusted them with BGE Pecan Rub.
The cavities are stuffed with one onion and one lemon wedge along with sprigs of fresh thyme, rosemary and sage leaves.
Also tossed in a huge yam just for grins and giggles. That my new drip pan/griddle down there. It included a roasting rack.
20220116_131837.jpg

Been rolling along with applewood chunks at 330° according to the lid therm. I still need to check it for accuracy.
20220116_141823.jpg

Applied a thin glaze of Stonewall Kitchen Smokey Peach Whiskey Sauce. They'll be ready soon going by the instant read therm.
20220116_145643.jpg

Resting on the kitchen counter. These pics don't do justice to the hens. The color was spectacular in person.
Sorry for not getting any money shots or plated shots. We were starving.
20220116_162349.jpg

I love this kettle. The temps are a breeze to control. I've been playing around with the kettle for a couple of weeks.
As for the roti ring, I couldn't even hear it runnning and would go check on it. LOL.
I didn't even need to use the spitrod counterweight this time.

Thanks for stopping by.

Stu

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Ummm hell yes I'd eat those. Beautiful color. Dang nice job Stu!

Thank you Jake. I thought I would miss the usual sprinkling of Kosher salt inside and out. But these turned out delicious.

DougE

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 13, 2010
I don't know if I could fit both in in one sitting, but I'd give it a try. Hell yes I'd eat those

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Short answer is yes I would!Stu those birds look fabulous! I haven’t had Cornish hens in years. I’ll bet those really hit the spot. I need to figure out a rotisserie set up for my Kamado.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
YEAP!!! Looks good! And that’s a nice accessory for that kettle!

Thanks, Justin. I agree. I went back and forth trying to decide if the roti ring was a need or just a want. LOL. Looks like it has been decided!

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
I don't know if I could fit both in in one sitting, but I'd give it a try. Hell yes I'd eat those

Thanks, Doug. I devoured mine. Mrs. SHS devoured half of hers.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Short answer is yes I would!Stu those birds look fabulous! I haven’t had Cornish hens in years. I’ll bet those really hit the spot. I need to figure out a rotisserie set up for my Kamado.

Thank you, Jeff. They are getting hard to find down here (supply issues). If you can find a set up for the Kamado, then do it. You'll love it.

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Nope. Don't eat them...they look horrible...and probably under cooked! You need to send them to me just to make sure they are safe! <sarc> LOL!

Awesome looking chickens. Skin looks perfectly crisp! Nicely done!

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Nope. Don't eat them...they look horrible...and probably under cooked! You need to send them to me just to make sure they are safe! <sarc> LOL!

Awesome looking chickens. Skin looks perfectly crisp! Nicely done!
:emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Thanks again, Keith. They were mighty delicious and juicy too.
You're right about the skin too.

Sven Svensson

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 5, 2021
That right there is a work of art. Game hens are fantastic. I love to throw them in with other things I’m smoking because they are so crazy good and they cook up really fast. I‘ve never put them on the Roti because they're so small so I guess I missed out on that. It’s a great idea to tie them up and put them on that way.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 11, 2014
Hey Stu,

That's a great looking kettle, and pair of birds.

I've been thinking about a spinner for my kettle for years. Your kicking me over the edge.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 3, 2015
Wow! Those are incredible! Those wouldn’t last 5 minutes in this house! I was just looking at that kettle rotisserie attachment today. They should have those pics to sell it!

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
That right there is a work of art. Game hens are fantastic. I love to throw them in with other things I’m smoking because they are so crazy good and they cook up really fast. I‘ve never put them on the Roti because they're so small so I guess I missed out on that. It’s a great idea to tie them up and put them on that way.

Thank you.
Give the roti a try sometime and you'll be very plesed with the results.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 30, 2018
Hey Stu,

That's a great looking kettle, and pair of birds.

I've been thinking about a spinner for my kettle for years. Your kicking me over the edge.

Thanks!
Yeah, I went back and forth before pulling the trigger on the Roti. But don't let me twist your arm. :emoji_sunglasses:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.