Worst BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Moto,

Is that you in the picture? If so, what are you doing?

Looks like you are recruiting at some collage during Pledge Week!
1578619407042.png

I rarely buy bbq anymore as often I get garbage not as good as mine.
Same! I almost never buy BBQ out. its always a let down. Honestly, we barely eat out at all. Wife says everything i make is better than what get out, and out costs 10X as much. its a great compliment - I can tell when I made things right - the plate is clear. if she doesnt clear the plate - i know to make it better next time.

Daughter and son in law used to stop at a strip mall between Houston and Katy, TX for a platter of smoked meats. Quality wasn’t too bad but the portions more than made up for quality. Enough meat for 8 people plus leftovers for $60 if memory serves. That was my first impression of dining out in Texas, I was impressed, coming from the bush in northern Canada to Texas.

Is it still there? I don't live too far away and love trying the unheard of spots like this.

Texas Roadhouse maybe?

I couldnt imagine it would be Texas Roadhouse. That place will disappoint u. I couldnt believe at how much Texas Roashouse (based out of Ohio I think) had changed from like 2005 to 2011.
The way it is going, soon it will become something like Arby's lol

The west coast is not known for good bbq. Consequently, I've learned to take anyone's favorable recommendation with a sceptical view if they haven't lived back east. There are a few rare places that do it right out here, but prepare to be disappointed if you smoke your own meat.

A westie buddy raved about BBQ at a place in Sacramento a few years ago. He and I went there for lunch. No smell of smoke outside or inside the restaurant...first bad sign.

I got the sampler platter, cheesy shrimp and grits, potato salad and beans. He got something else so we could both taste what they had to offer. Pulled pork, spare ribs, brisket, and beef ribs were dry and tasted like reheated leftovers. Chicken was just okay. Potato salad and beans were flavorless. Grits were friggin' AMAZING!

I just checked Yelp and they no longer are open, which is no surprise.

I suspect there are laws in this state about restaurant smoke emissions, which doesn't bode well for BBQ restaurants. Heck, several years ago there was a move in the Bay Area to ban backyard grilling and smoking. Grrrrrrr...

That crap was Day Old reheat! I hope you sent it back and pitched a bitch. Years ago, went to a highly rated restaurant. Paid $25 for the Fried Fishermans Platter. I freakin lost it when they brought it out and the seafood was all commercial convenience Frozen Seafood. Long John's is Ultra Fine Dinning compared to that crap...JJ

Reactions: noboundaries
That crap was Day Old reheat! I hope you sent it back and pitched a bitch. Years ago, went to a highly rated restaurant. Paid $25 for the Fried Fishermans Platter. I freakin lost it when they brought it out and the seafood was all commercial convenience Frozen Seafood. Long John's is Ultra Fine Dinning compared to that crap...JJ
I'm usually not one to complain, but I vote with my feet and never go back. The waiter asked how we liked the food. My buddy and I looked at each other. I answered, "The grits were great." The uneaten food on our plates spoke the rest, which the waiter noticed. We sat there for a while talking business but the manager never came over. And I never went back.

Sorry, cannot like the original post. Even the sad face doesn't describe that well enough.

A local "Dickies" franchise opened a few years ago. Reminded me of the fast food quality I experienced in DFW Dickies 30 years ago. Dickies franchise closed is now a Starbucks.

I have a pearl in the oyster in NW Minnesota.
Place is not fancy, but Mark smokes some of the best restaurant brisket I've ever been served.
Even catered the quality is very good.
He has won the local rib fest competition for 3 years

Wow that BBQ looks poor.

I'm fortunate that I live in a good food city and state for that matter but I still run into BBQ that is very sub par. It helps that in TX many people make very good BBQ in their back yards but you figured more restaurants would get it right but they don't. Also good luck finding very good pulled pork in TX.

If you are ever in and around Dallas TX here is a quick guide of BBQ joints so u don't waste too much time:

• Pappa Bros BBQ - best quality bbq overall, brisket is good, and wow best BBQ chicken u will find at any bbq joint and their weekly lunch special with a giant half chicken and <insert other meat option here> and 2-3 sides is enough food for 2 people or to eat once that day lol
  • Hard Eight BBQ - my favorite place because they have a HUGE variety of food though I don't care so much for their brisket, they carve off all the bark! :emoji_astonished: The chicken brush poppers are a must, pork ribs are pretty good, jalapeno sausage is usually fantastic, get a vew small pieces of smoked sirloin, and if u get the smoked turkey when it is fresh or get the end of it WOW. Also order jalapeno bread and dont get any other sides because its all u can eat free pinto beans made with onion, bacon/sausage, and jalapeno.... there is more variety but u gotta make like 3 trips to try it all hahaha
  • Hutchins BBQ (McKinney kinda far north of Dallas) - good brisket, well fried catfish (though could use more seasoning), good sausage, good sides, AND u can get all you can eat of all that meat and more for like $25 a person! The chicken was good but wasnt what I would really call BBQ chicken, was more of a Tex-Mex seasoned hybrid kind of thing... not bad but kind of a outlier

Fast Food-like BBQ
  • Dickeys, Spring Creek, and Sonny Bryans - basically what I call "fast food" bbq joints but really are a few notches above your fast food burger and chicken joints. All about the same where Sonny Bryans is the least memorable, Dickeys is the most widely available, and Spring Creek may be the leader ONLY because they make fresh dinner rolls that people go nuts over. If u order chopped brisket (its chipped and already mixed with bbq sauce), some standard sides, and a drink it will make a turd and you don't feel overly joyed nor overly disappointed and u can get back to work or running errands lol
I hope this info is interesting for anyone traveling to the Dallas area and forgive my random tangent of just listing places off... been sick in bed all week and still a little foggy headed but the antibotics are kickin in lol :emoji_laughing:
Surprised no mention of Pecan Lodge downtown. We ate there a couple years ago when we were in town and I was definitely happy with my meal.

Being on the west coast there is no real BBQ here. Everything is slathered heavily in sauce to mask the fact the meat is dry reheats. Rarely ever get real smoked food. I spend the money buying my own to do up vs eating out.
20181014_122546.jpg

Surprised no mention of Pecan Lodge downtown. We ate there a couple years ago when we were in town and I was definitely happy with my meal.

Being on the west coast there is no real BBQ here. Everything is slathered heavily in sauce to mask the fact the meat is dry reheats. Rarely ever get real smoked food. I spend the money buying my own to do up vs eating out.View attachment 429169

The last time I ate at Pecan Lodge it was still in the Farmers Market area (years ago). At that time it was great. It has since moved to Deep Ellum and I haven't eaten at it since it has moved. That is the only reason I don't mention it. I'll need to hit it up but I'm RARELY in the Deep Ellum area these days so it would be a trip specifically to try it out.

I've also not tried Cattleack BBQ which is much closer to me but they are only opened on like Wed and Thu for lunch.... its just so hard to be in that area and then fight with everyone on those two random days of the week lol. I hear it is fantastic though.

Reactions: Teal101
There is a dearth of good BBQ in this area as well. Some exceptions were Memphis BBQ in Everett, now closed, and of course our forum member Jeff's Texas Style BBQ in Marysville. Excellent product, I try to stop by whenever I'm up that way.

We have locally a Dickey's and a Famous Dave's, however I have not set foot in either one, so I can't attest to how bad it is. There have been a couple other nearby non-chains that I tried; in one, I couldn't figure out how they ever won the ribbons that were pinned to walls. Just plain unexciting. The other, I tried their pulled pork, and it definitely had a weird, fishy taste to it. I couldn't finish. Both are now out of business.

Reactions: Teal101
There is a dearth of good BBQ in this area as well. Some exceptions were Memphis BBQ in Everett, now closed, and of course our forum member Jeff's Texas Style BBQ in Marysville. Excellent product, I try to stop by whenever I'm up that way.
Been close to 20 years since I lived in the Seattle area.
Got to experience the original Cave Man Kitchen in Kent in the 80's & 90's. Got invited to the wood shed, too.

Been close to 20 years since I lived in the Seattle area.
Got to experience the original Cave Man Kitchen in Kent in the 80's & 90's. Got invited to the wood shed, too.
Cave Man Kitchen is still there, but that's about 45 miles from me. Armadillo BBQ in Woodinville was good, too. But it's long gone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky