Worst BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaxtersBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
This was a “BBQ combination platter” I bought from a local smokehouse for $25. They closed a few months back. The sides that came with it were ok but I just couldn’t believe the meat. I won’t give the name or location. Thought you guys might want to see it. Anybody else ever have bad BBQ in a restaurant?
32E0B343-2E73-4E8F-A4E6-B89BE5BB6CE9.jpeg
0954460F-1E66-4B8F-8686-4BE280D56B3F.jpeg
C10070E9-BDCA-4A66-BDED-D5182CC8EE6B.jpeg
A391EDAB-ED5D-40EA-A082-9060AD4E661C.jpeg
B1D69287-B3C9-44BE-AD24-96D2F34424F7.jpeg
340979BF-CED5-4708-B963-38F6D7AE689C.jpeg

Last edited:
Come on now a little effort u would have had some jerky JK
Richie

Haha that’s basically what it was. I’ve overcooked a few briskets before but never this bad. I just went back and looked at the timestamps on the pictures and I took them at 5:30 on a Friday. It’s not like I ordered it at 10pm on a Tuesday. I’m still just blown away that the cook thought it would be ok to serve that.

Reactions: JC in GB
That’s been mistreated, forgotten about, and then microwaved.

I hate getting bad BBQ.. I hate getting bad food period..

My wife won’t let me order a Reuben sandwich from a restaurant any more since they often suck ass and she doesn’t want to listen to me complain about it.

I was very disappointed with a local place called Grahm’s. Very expensive and extremely stingy with portion size. It’s a shame since they had good flavor but value to cost was a deal breaker. Never returned. Funny thing is that they are still in business.

G

That’s been mistreated, forgotten about, and then microwaved.

I hate getting bad BBQ.. I hate getting bad food period..

My wife won’t let me order a Reuben sandwich from a restaurant any more since they often suck ass and she doesn’t want to listen to me complain about it.
If you get out to Vegas try Greenberg’s at New York New York. They make a fantastic Rueben with gobs of delicious corned beef on marbled rye. Seriously amazing.

G

I live in Michigan, so literally every bbq place I've ever eaten at (only ever had ones in Michigan is my point) is the worst bbq place I've ever eaten at lol. Ive found pretty ok smoked wings at two places..neither of them being "bbq restaurants".

Reactions: WildewoodBBQ
In SC PA seems like a lot of BBQ places are popping up. Stop at new one out side of Carlisle. Got pulled pork sandwiches. Not that good. I don’t eat out often & this is why. Can make better myself. (Not bragging just honest). Give them a second try to be sure. Maybe try their ribs or chicken.

Daughter and son in law used to stop at a strip mall between Houston and Katy, TX for a platter of smoked meats. Quality wasn’t too bad but the portions more than made up for quality. Enough meat for 8 people plus leftovers for $60 if memory serves. That was my first impression of dining out in Texas, I was impressed, coming from the bush in northern Canada to Texas.

If you get out to Vegas try Greenberg’s at New York New York. They make a fantastic Rueben with gobs of delicious corned beef on marbled rye. Seriously amazing.

G

I definitely will remember that, or at least mark it down somewhere.. Thanks for the heads up!

Blu Pig in Moab. Only tried it once, a couple years ago but it was bad. Our order took 45 minutes. My brisket was similar to the pictures above. Overcooked, dry and cold. Literally cold. My buddy's pulled pork was dried out and cold as well. The place was very busy so I am not sure what the problem was but having been in the restaurant business for many years, I had a few guesses.

The place is still in business, so hopefully they have the bugs ironed out, if I can mix a metaphor or two. I'll try again this Spring.

Wow that BBQ looks poor.

I'm fortunate that I live in a good food city and state for that matter but I still run into BBQ that is very sub par. It helps that in TX many people make very good BBQ in their back yards but you figured more restaurants would get it right but they don't. Also good luck finding very good pulled pork in TX.

If you are ever in and around Dallas TX here is a quick guide of BBQ joints so u don't waste too much time:

• Pappa Bros BBQ - best quality bbq overall, brisket is good, and wow best BBQ chicken u will find at any bbq joint and their weekly lunch special with a giant half chicken and <insert other meat option here> and 2-3 sides is enough food for 2 people or to eat once that day lol
  • Hard Eight BBQ - my favorite place because they have a HUGE variety of food though I don't care so much for their brisket, they carve off all the bark! :emoji_astonished: The chicken brush poppers are a must, pork ribs are pretty good, jalapeno sausage is usually fantastic, get a vew small pieces of smoked sirloin, and if u get the smoked turkey when it is fresh or get the end of it WOW. Also order jalapeno bread and dont get any other sides because its all u can eat free pinto beans made with onion, bacon/sausage, and jalapeno.... there is more variety but u gotta make like 3 trips to try it all hahaha
  • Hutchins BBQ (McKinney kinda far north of Dallas) - good brisket, well fried catfish (though could use more seasoning), good sausage, good sides, AND u can get all you can eat of all that meat and more for like $25 a person! The chicken was good but wasnt what I would really call BBQ chicken, was more of a Tex-Mex seasoned hybrid kind of thing... not bad but kind of a outlier

Fast Food-like BBQ
  • Dickeys, Spring Creek, and Sonny Bryans - basically what I call "fast food" bbq joints but really are a few notches above your fast food burger and chicken joints. All about the same where Sonny Bryans is the least memorable, Dickeys is the most widely available, and Spring Creek may be the leader ONLY because they make fresh dinner rolls that people go nuts over. If u order chopped brisket (its chipped and already mixed with bbq sauce), some standard sides, and a drink it will make a turd and you don't feel overly joyed nor overly disappointed and u can get back to work or running errands lol
I hope this info is interesting for anyone traveling to the Dallas area and forgive my random tangent of just listing places off... been sick in bed all week and still a little foggy headed but the antibotics are kickin in lol :emoji_laughing:

Got some pretty bad stuff from a local place that used to be around here called Mickey Ray's. The guy had one location open and it was always good. A few years later he opened a couple of other locations. A friend and I were out one day and tried one of the new locations and nothing was up to par. We got a combo platter with ribs, brisket, chicken and pulled pork. I was pretty disappointed. The friend I went with hadn't had much experience with BBQ and said mine was better for each of them. At that time I had only made brisket and pulled pork a couple of times so I felt pretty good about that.

Reactions: oxman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky