Worst BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dickies BBQ pit was one of the reasons I got into BBQ in the first place. I ate there when they had one in GB. I was shocked that they charged me $9 for a tiny bowl of BBQ beans which weren't that good. Also, the ribs were precooked, not smoked, and they were all kept in warming cabinets wrapped in plastic. After eating their BBQ, I knew I could do better myself and I wasn't going to settle for crappy ribs any longer!

A BBQ chef was born that day.... :emoji_grin:

JC :emoji_cat:

Just goes to show you that good things can come from bad experiences.

Reactions: JC in GB
I rarely buy bbq at places anymore b/c they never taste as good or as fresh when I do it. The one place I went to in Austin Tx was really good. They had a line outside the door each day they open. It was called Coopers. I wish I knew that Franklins was there but I didn't realize that.

Reactions: JC in GB
I rarely buy bbq at places anymore b/c they never taste as good or as fresh when I do it. The one place I went to in Austin Tx was really good. They had a line outside the door each day they open. It was called Coopers. I wish I knew that Franklins was there but I didn't realize that.

Coopers is good. I've eaten at the one in Ft Worth and one in Llano TX.

Don't be fooled by a place called Coopers near the small town of Mountain Home, TX (near Kerrville). That Coopers is horrible and is only getting business off the name of the real Coopers.

Erickson Smokehouse in Fertile MN. I've made the RT drive to Brainerd in a day many times from where I live.
Finally made it to Erickson's the other weekend. We enjoyed it. Didn't try the ribs, but enjoyed the brisket and jalapeno cheese curds. Wife and I took a round and about 650 mile motorcycle ride to visit. Great weekend.

here in Memphis you can get great BBQ from just about anywhere. Shoot even the gas stations have good BBQ. We have Rendezvous, Corky's, Germantown Commissary, Tops BBQ, Interstate BBQ just to name a few. And there are some stellar mom and pop places. granted, there are some places that you need to go in with a SWAT team but the food is phenomenal.

Here in southern adirondack mountains of upstate NY, I have never had BBQ from anywhere that was worth a damn. Heavy on vinegar in the sauce, dry and chewy. We had a Dickies for about 6 months, that was the best there was (and it sucked). So that is what got me to smokin my own about 4 years ago. And thanks to this place I can turn out some decent Q when the family is hankerin for it.

Last edited:
I live near Oakland Ca. If I am traveling I will go out for BBQ but at home no f'in way. Mine is better. I did when I was working 70 hour weeks and was usually disappointed. There is one place that makes a sauce I like but the brisket is all fat. Another is ok, but dislike the sauce. The best one is in a really bad neighborhood and I used to go before dark and only stop if parking out front.

Back when I first moved here there was a place called Flints that was really good. Their chopped brisket and ribs were top notch but the potato salad was instant food poisoning. It was to go only and they drew an interesting crowd. On more than one occasion there were athletes/ex athletes, crack dealers, hookers, drunks and yuppies waiting together for BBQ at 1 AM.

but at home no f'in way. Mine is better.
same...i only buy when not home and in a town where they ought ot know how to make it...not say they do always.

But - Germantown Commissary is a go to when in the area - still have one living relative there.

Dallas - I have only been to Pecan Lodge because my son in law loves it. I do as well. but its a planned event - lunch only, wait in long line, they serve till they run out.

Reactions: JLeonard
There was a small place near me that I tried once. Their pulled pork was very mushy, and had a fishy taste to it. Never went back, and they folded shortly thereafter.

Finally made it to Erickson's the other weekend. We enjoyed it. Didn't try the ribs, but enjoyed the brisket and jalapeno cheese curds. Wife and I took a round and about 650 mile motorcycle ride to visit. Great weekend.
Nice bike ride.
Mark does some of the best brisket I've had in joints.
I've only had his ribs at competition events. Sometimes winner, sometimes not my favorite, but everyone can have an off day?
I wish I would have mentioned the chicken at the restaurant. Not off the smoker, but broasted which is my favorite cooking method.
Hmm need to talk with Mark if chicken can be cold smoked, cooled, then prepped for a ride in the broaster.

Reactions: kawboy
I’ve never really had good BBQ in a restaurant. The only good BBQ that I have had were from food trucks parked on the side of the road with a big smoker setup!
Al

I’ve never really had good BBQ in a restaurant. The only good BBQ that I have had were from food trucks parked on the side of the road with a big smoker setup!
Al

I never had good BBQ at any restaurant, and I've never seen any of those Food Trucks within 40 miles of my home. So the only Good BBQ I've had was either at My House, or Bear Jr's house!

Bear

Reactions: pc farmer
Forgot all about this thread until kawboy kawboy replied.

If you get out to Vegas try Greenberg’s at New York New York. They make a fantastic Rueben with gobs of delicious corned beef on marbled rye. Seriously amazing.

G
This is the forgotten that really jerks my chain.
Wife and I went to Vegas the last week of January. Walked through New York New York and my CRS was in full strength.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky