Wooden cutting boards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
I have a nice thick wooden cutting live edge cutting board that is in need of a good oil. Ive heard mixed things about mineral oil and depending on what you read its either terrible for you or not as bad as its being claimed.

What do you fellas/fellaettes use for your boards?

Reactions: JLeonard
Food grade mineral oil is fine , I use Howard's board oil or butcher block conditioner . I get it at Lowes or Home Depot .
Yes you can get Mineral oil cheap at Walgreens . I chose not to . Howard's is about 8 bucks a bottle . The Block conditioner also has beeswax in it . It will add some color . Not much , and I actually like it the best .
You can see the bottle in this picture .
1659300652118.jpeg

Food grade mineral oil.
A got a gallon in Amazon years ago.
"UltraIpro white mineral oil"

Sometimes I make a mineral oil + bees wax mix. I put a chunk of wax into a mason jar with oil, and microwave till melted.
Works great on wooden garden beds too.

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Food grade mineral oil is fine , I use Howard's board oil or butcher block conditioner . I get it at Lowes or Home Depot .
Yes you can get Mineral oil cheap at Walgreens . I chose not to . Howard's is about 8 bucks a bottle . The Block conditioner also has beeswax in it . It will add some color . Not much , and I actually like it the best .
You can see the bottle in this picture .
View attachment 639319
That board is a work of art...

Reactions: chopsaw
Glad you remembered... I could not, just know that I got it at HD.

- Jason
I still have a hard time finding it . Usually at the end of the stain and finishes isle . I also buy Howard's feed n wax . Not food grade , but if you have hardwood table tops it really cleans them up and makes them pop .

Reactions: millerbuilds
I have to to Lowes in the next day or so, Ill look for it

I have a nice thick wooden cutting live edge cutting board
Would love to see it . I saw yesterday when I was at Lowe's that they now carry Butcher block and salad bowl finish . It's a finish that needs to cure after applying and should be water proof . Food safe AFTER it cures .

I would love to see the live edge cutting board as well. I made a couple of red oak, live edge shelves to hold some German Beer steins my parents gave me in PA. Took a lot of work, it would have been faster if I started with a belt sander instead of an orbital from 60 - 800 grit.
live edge1.jpg
live edge2.jpg
live edge3.jpg

Looks great . Nice work on the shelf . Love the pipe brackets . Looks great with that live edge . I did a set of pipe leg tables for my great room . Cherry tops and gas pipe for the legs .
German Beer steins my parents gave me
What do you know about the steins ?
I have 2 that are supposed to be German . Been trying to find out more about them .
This one has markings on the bottom , but not sure what it means .
I have a bigger one too . Been in my family at least 50 years that I know of .
1659463780770.jpeg

Reactions: TH-n-PA and zwiller
Looks great . Nice work on the shelf . Love the pipe brackets . Looks great with that live edge . I did a set of pipe leg tables for my great room . Cherry tops and gas pipe for the legs .

What do you know about the steins ?
I have 2 that are supposed to be German . Been trying to find out more about them .
This one has markings on the bottom , but not sure what it means .
I have a bigger one too . Been in my family at least 50 years that I know of .
View attachment 639513
Thanks, I am no where near your level woodwork but it was a fun project.

Most all are antique from Germany, some are from places we visited. I have not researched them very well, I probably should.

I am sure if the ones you have are that old they are from Germany as well.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks . There is something about the blue color on German steins that means something. Sam might have some info . zwiller zwiller .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky