Wooden cutting boards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Live Edge?
Here's a couple of Bear Jr's:
unnamed copy.jpg

unnamed-2 copy.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

0 copy 5.jpeg

Bear

Would love to see it . I saw yesterday when I was at Lowe's that they now carry Butcher block and salad bowl finish . It's a finish that needs to cure after applying and should be water proof . Food safe AFTER it cures .

You request has been granted. Picked up a bottlebof Howards this morn, so nice and shiny. This isnt a single piece of wood but still is great. Got it at Home Goods, I think.

20220802_184719.jpg

Some beautiful live edge boards and tables going on here.

Thanks . There is something about the blue color on German steins that means something. Sam might have some info . zwiller zwiller .

I am really into German culture and have plenty of old steins here too but don't have much more info, sorry. You got me digging: https://antiques.lovetoknow.com/antique-german-beer-steins

My aunt has done estate sales a long time and is well known here for appraising collectibles and antiques. Her standard technique used to value things like this are reference books and there is usually a TON of cool info in these books. You guys got me fired up so I just picked up one of the books in the link above. Let me see what I can dig up.

Those steins look great and have a few that look identical to those. I seem to recall leaving bark on required lots of work to seal or something but looks GREAT for that application.

I am not serious about it but I collect german smokers like this.
4022917210231_01-21-023_21023_w.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw and clifish
I am really into German culture and have plenty of old steins here too but don't have much more info, sorry. You got me digging: https://antiques.lovetoknow.com/antique-german-beer-steins

My aunt has done estate sales a long time and is well known here for appraising collectibles and antiques. Her standard technique used to value things like this are reference books and there is usually a TON of cool info in these books. You guys got me fired up so I just picked up one of the books in the link above. Let me see what I can dig up.

Those steins look great and have a few that look identical to those. I seem to recall leaving bark on required lots of work to seal or something but looks GREAT for that application.

I am not serious about it but I collect german smokers like this.
View attachment 639580
Thanks, it is also a lot of work to remove the bark with out damaging the shelf. From what I read Red oak has a fairly stable bark so just sealed it with a matte varnish. If it ever starts to fall off I will pull the down and remove it all and refinish.

Reactions: zwiller
This stuff is really cool to research
I agree . Nice to find something that looks like what you have too . Keeps you interested .
Here's the bottom of the one I posted above . Of course SMF has to flip the pic .
That writing is a bright gold color . Didn't come through in the pic . Pretty sure it translates to handmade .
20220804_155430.jpg
20220804_155440.jpg

Meant to tell you guys I found the business about the blue color on steins. Basically the krauts (GASP LOL) were trying to copy chinese porcelain. They couldn't do it for a long time but eventually did and by sheer luck the cobalt they mined there was better than chinese so the blue was truer and more permanent. The steins made this way are called "faience". https://www.beerstein.net/articles/bsj-1c.htm

Reactions: chopsaw and clifish
I'm not an appraiser by any means. But I think old steins (and by that I mean more like >80 yo) are currently under-valued. But beer and pubs are a booming business and I think old steins are set to explode in value.

I think old and genuine Hummel figurines are similarly under-valued. Plus a lot of people just throw them away when cleaning out a deceased relative's furnishings, finding them kitschy at best. So the genuine ones are rapidly becoming rare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky