Wood source

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mcleanmitch205

Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
Hey guys, new to the offset world and wondering where to source firewood for fuel in the phoenix area. Also curious what types are available and what’s best in your personal opinion. Thank you

I can't help with where to buy it but can offer some advice when choosing what to buy.
It's hard to beat oak, pecan and hickory to start with, everybody should have some of each.
Fruit woods are good too but may be hard to find in your area, unless you buy kiln dried from a retail store. (which work but don't have the same flavor profile as aged wood)
Also, I strongly advise you to invest in a moisture meter device, they are cheap and can save you a bunch of money by steering you away from green or not yet aged wood.
You can get one on Amazon for around $30 and you are looking for a moisture level in the wood of 15%/20%.
You can burn higher moisture content wood but fire control and food flavor profiles are better with the lower numbers.

If just firewood to use I'd start with the citrus growers in the area and see off they have pruning wood pile.if just to add for smoke walmart,Lowe's might have chunks.

If memory serves me right, wallyworld, lowes, and ace carry chunks. Home depot sells small bags of splits too.

If I ran an offset and used wood only as my fuel source, I wouldn't have any money left over for meat.
Smoking woods are expensive in the PHX area.
I think the OP is going to find that a charcoal basket and either lump or briquettes will be his best new friends if he plans on doing a lot of smoking.

Wish I had something to ad, But I'm in East Texas and have plenty to choose from

Gary

I don't know what you have in your area, but around here, we have Fruit tree orchards, and they sell Trimmings of Apple, Peach, etc real cheap. As for Oak, Hickory. and Cherry, it's expensive to get small amounts from stores, but real cheap if you get some as firewood, & split it yourself.
Or maybe you have a friend who would allow you to pick a couple chunks of firewood from his big pile for a couple Bucks.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky