Wood smoke house finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rlleveng

Original poster
Feb 5, 2023
Just cut the pine for my build, unfortunately didn't have access to cedar. It will be on cinder blocks so no ground contact, and I am planning a metal roof. Would like to finish the outside to protect it from the elements, what would you recommend? Not sure if food safety comes into play if it's on the exterior, but if so I want that in consideration. I was planning on the interior being unfinished, but if there are any different opinions I would welcome them as well.

Reactions: JLeonard
There's a few guys around that have smokehouse, maybe one of them will see this and help you out.

Ryan

Mine is old barn wood I got and they planed up. I ran the wood top to bottom and deck stained with oil the outside.
Smokehouse_snow.jpg

Reactions: Newglide
I do not typically smoke over 175 with meats like pastrami, bologna and snack sticks. Cook bologna to 145 IT and that is posted on there too

I have holes drilled in the sides in the top under the over hang and hard ware cloth on the inside from snakes and mice climbing in.

It is all detailed here on my old blog

Last edited:
I do not typically smoke over 175 with meats like pastrami, bologna and snack sticks. Cook bologna to 145 IT and that is posted on there too

I have holes drilled in the sides in the top under the over hang and hard ware cloth on the inside from snakes and mice climbing in.

It is all detailed here on my old blog
That's awesome, I will read it in detail. Question on the holes for venting, I was considering this but thought the continuous smoke through the wood could cause discoloration or defects which put me on the chimney path. Did you have any issues with this?

That's awesome, I will read it in detail. Question on the holes for venting, I was considering this but thought the continuous smoke through the wood could cause discoloration or defects which put me on the chimney path. Did you have any issues with this?
Discoloration of the meats? That entire smokehouse is one black azz mess. It is literally a chimney for the fire box. I have discoloration around the smoke holes, cracks in the boards and door. The meats are all good though. Then you start rolling smoke it is plump full of smoke it doesn't matter where the holes are. You open the door and got to stand back so you don't choke and your eyes don't water, until it clears. :emoji_wink:

Discoloration of the meats? That entire smokehouse is one black azz mess. It is literally a chimney for the fire box. I have discoloration around the smoke holes, cracks in the boards and door. The meats are all good though. Then you start rolling smoke it is plump full of smoke it doesn't matter where the holes are. You open the door and got to stand back so you don't choke and your eyes don't water, until it clears. :emoji_wink:
Lol I meant discoloration of the smoke house from where the smoke pours out the holes. I have an outdoor wood boiler and I know how the front gets discolored where the door is from the smoke so I figured it would be the same. If I build it nice I'd like to do my best to keep it presentable, but it sounds like that may be futile. I'll probably proceed with the chimney to see of that directs the smoke out the top and away from the wood, we shall see.

If I build it nice I'd like to do my best to keep it presentable, but it sounds like that may be futile. I'll probably proceed with the chimney to see of that directs the smoke out the top and away from the wood, we shall see.
Good luck on that, you plan on cleaning the inside too? You'll never work so hard for something that doesn't matter. You better use a seal around the door, make those board extra tight and get that chimney in and maybe size it. My one post calculated the size of the exhaust hole. I can't remember it all now, but I posted what I learned when I did it. It is amazing how my own blog helps me too some times.

Good luck on that, you plan on cleaning the inside too? You'll never work so hard for something that doesn't matter. You better use a seal around the door, make those board extra tight and get that chimney in and maybe size it. My one post calculated the size of the exhaust hole. I can't remember it all now, but I posted what I learned when I did it. It is amazing how my own blog helps me too some times.
No not looking to clean the inside, that is what it is. Just figured if I can be proactive in protecting the exterior aesthetics of something that I'm building and is visible, it would be in my best interest to do so.

Reactions: archeryrob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky