• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

wood question

grinder

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 21, 2006
When selecting wood for smoking, is there a differance between heart and sap wood? Also, should the bark be removed? I have quite a bit of hickory and cherry, I want to use for smoking. I split the fire wood into managable pieces then, bandsawed into 3"-4" lengths, then split into usable sizes. Just wondering if I need to weed out the sapwood?

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 21, 2006
I burn all of my wood Grinder. Bark, heart, sap and all.

Wish I had some of that Cherry.

scott in kc

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2006
sapwood won't hurt a thing. If the bark wants to come off I let it, but I don't go to any trouble to remove it.

grinder

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 21, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it mattered too much but, just thought I'd ask the pros. I'm looking forward to trying the cherry. How dry should the wood be before using, 6-8% ? I also have some spalted apple scraps, from a woodworking project. The spalt isn't to the point of being punky. It should be ok to use, shouldn't it?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.