Wood pellets on lump coal ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AirForceDan

Original poster
Mar 9, 2021
Chonestahn, Pa
I was given a bag of treager apple wood pellets, and thought I’d use them on my ECB this weekend for a 10ish lb pork butt. I’ve never used these before, any suggestions? I was thinking on just dumping a cup or so on the coals once I get the temps leveled out. I don’t have a container to allow the pellets to slow burn but am considering getting one. All suggestions welcome

Don't waste your time or resources just pouring pellets into a fire. They will burn up almost immediately and won't smoke at all. Save them and get yourself a pellet tube or tray

Reactions: motocrash
Don't waste your time or resources just pouring pellets into a fire. They will burn up almost immediately and won't smoke at all. Save them and get yourself a pellet tube or tray
Hmmm, good thought. I considered making a “boat” out of heavy duty aluminum foil and filling it with the wood pellets. Would that work?

Hmmm, good thought. I considered making a “boat” out of heavy duty aluminum foil and filling it with the wood pellets. Would that work?
I've never done it but I think I've seen someone else on the forum do similar. Will need lots of holes in the foil for airflow and pack the pellets sorta tight. Probably work out but there are certainly better ways

I mix them in with charcoal on my kettles . Not dumped in one spot. Seems like it works , but I also have chunks as well .

They tend to really increase the temp if you add them to your unlit coals. As they catch they burn quickly and hot. That has been my personal experience. You are much better off with a tube or tray to burn them in. You will also want to light them with a torch of some sort. After they burn for a few minutes then you can blow them out and let the slow smolder happen for the rest of your cook.

G

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky