Wood pellets for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ran across this place in Steve Raichlen's book BBQ USA.....anybody ever use these in a smoker? So far I've only used chunks. Price doesn't seem outrageous but I haven't compared prices either.http://bbqrsdelight.com/index.html  
Chef Willie, I have a pellet smoker and use them in that with great success...

I also use a few on charcoal at times.  They work great and there are so many flavors to choose from. :)

Candy Sue is a great person.. excellent smoker too. She was just elected as the President of the KCBS...

I have that book and really like it. As for the chips if i use them in my chargriller i make a foil packet of them, this way makes them last a little longer. If you just put them on the coals they burn up in minutes. In the mes the seem to last about as long as chips do. They seem to work ok in the mes but i still like my amns for that better.

I have that book and really like it. As for the chips if i use them in my chargriller i make a foil packet of them, this way makes them last a little longer. If you just put them on the coals they burn up in minutes. In the mes the seem to last about as long as chips do. They seem to work ok in the mes but i still like my amns for that better.
Yeah, hear ya Les. I'm really leaning towards the AMNS. I have a gasser and the chip box isn't bad but I have to monitor it a lot to keep the smoke in control. To me, from what I've read here, the AMNS = load it and forget it.

Yeah, hear ya Les. I'm really leaning towards the AMNS. I have a gasser and the chip box isn't bad but I have to monitor it a lot to keep the smoke in control. To me, from what I've read here, the AMNS = load it and forget it.
You really can't go wrong with the amns. I have really found it to be so simple to use,and its a must have for coldsmoking! Sounds like you are doing your homework on it.

So i really don't have to go on and on adout it. But if you decide to get one you'll be very glad you did, i know i was!!

I just talked to Candy Sue today!

Quick lesson on pellets........If the bag says "Flavored", the pellets are probably Alder or Oak based with flavor wood added.  Some manufacturers even use oils to flavor their pellets.

BBQrs Delight sells both 100% Flavor Wood and Blended pellets, and they're upfront about it.  Some manufacturers hide behind the label and don't tell you what's in their pellets.

Before you buy, ask if the pellets are "100% Flavor Wood or Blended"

Todd

Reactions: brurusbubbaq

Quick lesson on pellets........If the bag says "Flavored", the pellets are probably Alder or Oak based with flavor wood added.  Some manufacturers even use oils to flavor their pellets.

BBQrs Delight sells both 100% Flavor Wood and Blended pellets, and they're upfront about it.  Some manufacturers hide behind the label and don't tell you what's in their pellets.

Todd
I have used Traeger pellets in the past. Now I'm going to have to look at the bag & see exactly what they are. Thanks for the info Todd.

I haven't used pellets.

If I did I would get the BBQrs Delight  .

When we get moved into our new place I am going to get wood/charcaol smoker. Prolly a UDS.

I haven't used the chip tray on my MES.

Quite happy with the amazen.

I kinda like Todd too. hehehe

Have a great day

Craig

Todd
Thanks for the info Todd...food for thought for many members I'm sure. Although the pellets sounded interesting at first I early on decided to go with your product thanks to the great reviews by other members here and pick up the new Maverick as well. Your 'package deal' on the site seems like the way to go. Just waiting for my tax return to hit and will be placing an order soon.

I have used Traeger pellets in the past. Now I'm going to have to look at the bag & see exactly what they are. Thanks for the info Todd.
Traegers are made here in Oregon not far from where I live but I just can't seem to justify paying what they want for a unit. I was in Costco yesterday and Traeger had a booth set up with units and bags of pellets. I was in a hurry and didn't want to get side tracked so didn't notice the pricing or anything or if they were offering 'special' deals.

I haven't ever used the pellets personally but it stands to reason they would work and if Jeanie says it does then I know it does. I would question the price of them but I'd be willing to bet their better than the pucks
biggrin.gif

Great info Todd thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky