Wood pellet of choice for Thanksgiving turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Craigster

Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Just wondering what is everyone's wood pellet of choice for smoking a thanksgiving turkey? I was thinking of using a fruit wood like apple or cherry.

I plan on using a blend myself lumberjack competition

There is no wrong choice here, I like apple on poultry, I like pecan, heck I like corn cob, cherry is not bad either.

Pecan, I am kind of partial to pecan since I have some pecan trees on the property. I use pecan shells for smoke alot.

011.JPG

Cherry, note that pretty red color from the cherry.

009.JPG

Apple, Apple almost looks like amber when applied correctly. Its just a beautiful smoke.

IMG_6216.JPG
What ever you pick will be beautiful if you'll just not try to go overboard. Thee are many more people who will dislike too much smoke than there are those who'll want more. Start out with a light hand measuring those pellets.

Just my personal opinions.

I always did my birds on my Kamado grills until I got my Timberline 1300 last year. I used Lumberjack comp blend last year and they came out good but this year I thought I would try their Cherry and see how they come out. We always do one bird in the oven conventional style, wife demands it and I do 2 birds on the grill, I have a large extended family.

Going to put mine on about 4am then into a oven around 6, injection this year instead of brine, will try to take pictures

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky