wood for making charcoal for kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phoenix rising

Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Southern Alberta
Let me start off with this, for what it is, charcoal is fairly expensive here... So, I was looking around, and I have most of the materials and whatnot for building a charcoal kiln. However, what I don't have is a ready source of hardwood (except elm). I'm not sure I want to use elm for making charcoal.

Now, I have some apple from pruning on our trees, but I was hoping to save that for smoking wood. What I do have a decent quantity of is caragana (which is part of the same family as desert ironwood, aka a rosewood), mountain ash, poplar, maybe aspen (not sure what the tree is exactly yet) and lilac from bushes. I might be able to buy birch and tamarac.

Would any of the above be good for making charcoal for bbq?

Thanks for your input.

I make my own charcoal every year. The wood I use is best described as mixed hardwood. Whatever you use, make sure you use seasoned wood. I would try with what you have and then try smoking with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky