wood chunks on element

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinbarrles

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
I use to use one of the outdoor gourmet barrel type electric smokers. This had lava rocks in the bottom and id put wood chunks in there that would smoke/ burn by touching the coil. Could something similar be done in an MES?

P.s i have a pellet tube for mine. but using the chunks on the coil in my old smoker actually produces a smoke ring and some dang good Q.

Reactions: mooncusser
I wouldn't recommend it, since you might end up with an actual fire vs smoldering pellets and the MES isn't meant to start on fire ;)

Bear might have more knowledge on this but I'd err on the side of caution with this. <Neat idea though..>

I cut wood chunks to fit in the tray , not directly on the element of a MES 30 . I put it in while I pre heat / burn off the smoker . I only use 1 chunk at a time . I use the tube for most of the smoke , but the wood adds something for sure .

I used to do the same thing, or cut “sticks” by ripping little logs into 1/2” thick boards, then ripping them the other way to make 1/2” square sticks which I cut to a little less than the length of the loader. I would pre-load the pan, and preheat the smoker, then feed it with a handful of sticks every hour or so.

I could make a bunch of smoke that way, but it was pretty thick and a little bitter depending on the type of wood. I think the practice hastened the failure mode of burning up the inner wall of the smoker around the chip loader hole though...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky