• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Wood chips and charcoal question

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 24, 2011
So, being a newbie I have a question. I have used my smoker 4 times. Each time I get the fire box going with lump charcoal. Then periodically I throw on a handful of wood chips throughout the smoking process. My questions is:

Should I do this or purchase a cast iron chip box so my chips dont catch fire?

I am trying to get a hold of some fruit wood so I can just use an all wood fire to smoke with. But, until I can do so I am wondering the proper technique with the charcoal/chip combo.

Last edited:

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
have you tried using chunks instead of chips?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I'm with bmudd, try using chunks.

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 24, 2011
Yes, I used hickory chunks the first time. But, I like a mellower smoke flavor and found that apple wood gives me that.

When I add the chips I get a burst of thick white smoke. This stops after the chips burn off a bit. From what I've read I don't want thick white smoke. I haven't noticed any bitter taste to anything I've smoked.

So, is the thick white smoke to be expected when adding chips to charcoal?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.