Wood chipper advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't know much about chippers. But. I don't care for the engines they're using on the smaller ones.

I don't know much about chippers. But. I don't care for the engines they're using on the smaller ones.
I tend to agree. This one uses the common briggs and stratton which has become a very cheap engine and breaks down a lot. I am very good at fixing them so that a good thing. I have repaired many for myself and friends and family. This chipper does use a larger motor then most small chippers. I have 300 feet of hedge I let grow to around 15-20 feet high but every 3-4 years I need to cut it down to at least waist level. So the chipper would not be used a heck of a lot and should last my life time.

Did some googling and came up with this answer to my question.
Unlike drum chippers, disc chippers are energy efficient and fast working mechanisms at a time. However, it cannot handle fibrous logs and only trim small branches, shrubs, etc.

Reactions: Hank R
About ten years ago I bought a small Cub Cadet chipper shredder w/ Briggs and Stratton engine. It has the flywheel with chipper knives on one side and shredder flails on the other. It works really well but it is a bear to start! It is a pull start and getting that 70 lb. flywheel rotating is a killer for an old man like me. Electric start or a hand clutch would be a must if I had to do it again.

Reactions: KBFlyer
I bet DougE DougE knows a thing or two about chippers.
Really no experience with these smaller units. Lots with the old Asplundh whisper chippers (The ones that suck the stuff in in seconds and you best get outta the way as soon as you feed a limb in) and I also have a ton of experience with 12 inch hydraulic feed disc chippers made by Vermeer and Brush Bandit (much more user friendly lol), but my experience is on the commercial end, having been an arborist most of my life.

Would renting one be a better option? Since your only going to use it once in a while.

Chris

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky